Northern Sydney Exploring

Clarkie

I'd been meaning to explore my local river for a while now, so Saturday morning I pulled my finger out, grabbed the bream rod, some bass lures and headed out.

Didn't really know what to expect, other than there was a walking track on the map, and it looked as if it cut along the river about a k in. Some of the scenery was amazing. There were quite a few amazing caves and rock formations, one creating this huge natural ampitheatre, with a little feeder creek running right beside it.

Well the track eventually got to within about 10-15 meters of the water, but the bush was so thick that even when I did try and make it to the water, the trees on the edge were so thick that there was no chance of even throwing a lure out there, letalone casting one. :thumbdown: Kept walking, more amazing scenery, and about 40 minutes in, came to a nice strech were the track was right on the edge of the water, and the trees were starting to thin out. I thought seeing I'd already gone this far, I might as well check out the whole section. So another 20 mins and I came to a clearing and grassy banks. Couldn't go any further anyway, so the first lure hit the water a bit after 8am.

Wasn't any surface activity, and I couldn't see any in a few of the snags I was looking in, so just cast at every snag, over hanging tree, or open water within a stretch of about 100m. Firstly with a little popper, then a crawdad, followed by an SX40. Unfortunately nothing came to the party. Did see a very big carp swim by, then what I'm pretty sure were mullet?

After about 1.5 hours decided that I'd try a few of the spots I'd walked past earlier for the same result. Again, no surface activity, but the Sun was pretty high up at this stage, so the final spot, which was about 30-40 meters off the path, where an above ground water pipe had been cut through the scrub, allowing pretty reasonable access to the water. Again saw a huge carp feeding on the surface, and am pretty sure I saw a good sized bass swim out of a snag while I was getting my lure out of a tree. (Geez I caught a lot of branches) But couldn't get a bite. It looks like a good spot though, so I think I'll have to get up a bit earlier and give it a proper go.

As I didn't catch anything Sat, thought I'd better rectify that, so after getting approval :wife: for no more than 3 hours ducked up to Apple Tree Bay with some leftover squid bait. Caught the usual small snappers. So tried a few of the little crabs that were on the rocks, and immediately the little snappers turned into little bream. Also caught a 30cm taylor on a metal slug when a small baitschool broke the surface just in front of me.

Nothing exciting caught, but a good weekend anyway.

Steve. :1fishing1:

Edited by Clarkie

Sounds like you had a great time exploring at least. :thumbup: Maybe you could look into getting a yak or a canoe up there. That may give you better access!

Hi Jocool, I've actually been considering a yak ever since we did a 2 day canoe trip down the south coast few months ago. It'd certainly make getting around this stretch of water much easier. It'd also be great for the Cowen. :thumbup:

Apparently a mate of a mate has one that doesn't get used, so I think we're going to try and talk him into lending it to us for a while. If it's something I'm still keen on after a few more test runs, then we might have to invest later in the new year. :biggrin2:

Cheers, Steve.

G'day

I presume you are talking about upper Cowan. That is probably the piece of water I know best and is excellent fishing. The trick to fishing it, is to get in it at half tide and wade, there is very little mud in the upper reaches.

Matt

G'day

I presume you are talking about upper Cowan. That is probably the piece of water I know best and is excellent fishing. The trick to fishing it, is to get in it at half tide and wade, there is very little mud in the upper reaches.

Matt

24420[/snapback]

Sounds more like middle harbour - with that water pipe - have taken the breezeabout up to the pipe once.

G'day

Matt

24420[/snapback]

Sounds more like middle harbour - with that water pipe - have taken the breezeabout up to the pipe once.

24473[/snapback]

OK I know that spot pretty well too, never caught much up that way though, although it has a very fishy look to it. Caught some good fish a little further down though. Matt taylor and I had a fish up there during the Roseville social.

Matt

Hi guys. Actually it's Lane Cove, and it's only a little water pipe. :biggrin2: I've looked at the upper Cowen, but haven't ventured that far yet. It's also on my list of places to check out.

Off to Brisbane now for 2 weeks, so hopefully I'll get a chance to check out some really new Bream & Bass spots on the drive up. :1clap:

Cheers, Steve.

i spent about 6 to 8 hours fishing from epping road, near the power station, and up towards linley point with a mate and we got nothing except a small tailor on lures. We tried bait and all sorts of lures and trekked through the bush track.