Daiwa Tierra 2500

Kirks

Hey fellas

Just wondering about the tierra 2500.

Can you fish 10 and 15 lbs fire line with and tierra TD-TR 701 mlfs rod, now I know that the rod is rated at 6-12 lbs but I was wondering if you can fish that rod with heavier line class or would the rod break under the 15lbs braid

I am using the rod for chucking plastics at small jews and kings plus heavy weight flatties

thanks kirkby

TD-TR 701MLFS Spin 1 7’0” Medium Light Fast ⅛–⅜oz 6–10lb

Personally i think that will be okay you won,t break the rod as the the tierra only puts out 8.8lb of drag

sounds like a nice little combo you are putting together. i think 10lb is all you need but the 15 would be okay also.Just remeber if snagged don,t use the rod to get off do a straight pull maybe with hand on reel.

Also you may consider the next up but is alittle stiffer

TD-TR 701MFS Spin 1 7’0” Medium Fast ¼–½oz 8–14lb

TD-TR 701MLFS Spin 1 7’0” Medium Light Fast ⅛–⅜oz 6–10lb

Personally i think that will be okay you won,t break the rod as the the tierra only puts out 8.8lb of drag

sounds like a nice little combo you are putting together. i think 10lb is all you need but the 15 would be okay also.Just remeber if snagged don,t use the rod to get off do a straight pull maybe with hand on reel.

Also you may consider the next up but is alittle stiffer

TD-TR 701MFS Spin 1 7’0” Medium Fast ¼–½oz 8–14lb

Thanks mate

Yeh going upto the next size would be fine if i had the cash.

I have the 2000 tierra great reel but I want the 2500 for my heavier fishing

from kirkby

I'm about to spool mine with 6lb braid on a starl stix pro lite (2-4kg). I don't think there's much need to go higher than 8lb or 10 lb braid, esp on the rod your using unless you're fishing around structure. As the guys have said, you'll be unlucky snap the fireline with the drag capacity of the tierra.

I'm just waiting for my Tierra 2500 to turn up from the states. Ordered it online and with 10lb Spider Stealth got it for AUD $160 inc. postage. Plan to spool with 6lb for soft plastics on a 2-4kg rod and use the other spool with 10lb braid on a 4-6kg rod for heavier lure and bait fishing.

Seems like a top reel just can't wait till it arrives now!

Good luck with the rod choice Kirkby.

Cheers

Marty

Plan to spool with 6lb for soft plastics on a 2-4kg rod and use the other spool with 10lb braid on a 4-6kg rod for heavier lure and bait fishing.

Cheers

Marty

My plan exactly Marty. Which rod are you thinking? Will the 2500 be a bit light in terms of weight and drag capacity?

Kbark,

Not sure about the 4-6kg rod yet but am going to limit myself to $150 max for a 2-4kg rod (somewhere in between 6'6 and 7'2). I've seen the Berkley Drop Shots and Starlo Stix (which look like a good match for the Tierra in bright blue :)

I've heard the Shimano Rack Raiders are good too but not sure about any other rods for under $150. Anyone got any other ideas? Shore-based soft plastic and hard body luring will be the order of the day.

Was it the 2-4kg rod you were asking about Kbark?

Kbark,

Not sure about the 4-6kg rod yet but am going to limit myself to $150 max for a 2-4kg rod (somewhere in between 6'6 and 7'2). I've seen the Berkley Drop Shots and Starlo Stix (which look like a good match for the Tierra in bright blue :)

I've heard the Shimano Rack Raiders are good too but not sure about any other rods for under $150. Anyone got any other ideas? Shore-based soft plastic and hard body luring will be the order of the day.

Was it the 2-4kg rod you were asking about Kbark?

No, I was asking about the 3-6kg.

In the 2-4 for under 150 i'd go the dropshot or a pflueger trion soft plastic. I prefer these over the bream raiders. I spent a bit more and went the starlo stix pro lite. A very nice rod for 200.