Narrow Escape For Three After Boat Smash

mrmoshe

Narrow escape for three after boat smash

Three men have escaped serious injury after a boat slammed into another vessel that was moored in Port Phillip Bay south-east of Melbourne.

The accident happened when a five metre aluminium boat slammed into a larger boat, which was moored off Ansetts Beach at Mt Eliza, about 4.25am (AEDT) on Saturday, Victoria Police said.

"The moving boat went up and over the rear section of the other vessel, coming to rest on top of it, with the propeller section caught on the boat it collided with," Senior Constable Wayne Wilson said.

A 67-year-old man, who was the sole occupant of the five metre boat, suffered cuts and bruises in the accident.

"A rescue boat from the rescue group VMR Mornington launched from Mornington and went out to the crash site," Snr Const Wilson said.

"They took the injured boat driver, a man aged, 67, and one man, 34, from the moored boat back to shore," he said.

The older man was transported by ambulance to hospital, while the other man was treated for shock at the scene.

A third man remained with the damaged boats, which will be towed back to the pier at Mornington on Saturday.

It's not safe on the water these days that's for sure. You see far too many boats with no lights on or insufficient lighting at anchor and others without navigation lights going along at fast speeds.

Many a time after midnight on the Hawkesbury I've seen sole occupants literally flying along the water doing some sort of a hoop the loop where the game is to have the bow rare up as much as possble and holding the boat up in the air at such a speed that it just falls short of rolling over backwards.

Is that some of training they're doing or is it a modern age daredevil game or do they just want to show us fishermen how to have more fun after midnight.

Cheers

jewgaffer

Hi Jewgaffer,

I am sure the idiots who are pointing the bow of their boats skyward believe it is a prerequisite to going to heaven.Not if I had my way though. Those bloody idiots can go to hell. Was on the Georges the day I saw a tinnie doing just that pointing skywards. Unfortunately for him he may have ended up in hell after landing on top of another boat. They get no sympathy from me when they don't think of others. I believe he was critically injured.No one else was involved.

Cheers BART :1fishing1::05:

Edited by bart