Hosing Off The Boat & Trailer

choad

I'm new to boating so any advice would be appreciated.

Just wondering with all the water restrictions in place at the moment whether it is legal to hose off your boat and trailer after a fishing session?

can i do it at the ramp?

can i do it at home after a session?

thanks.

Edited by choad

i know down wollongong they have taps at most ramps to run your motor and i think a quick rinse, but i havent noticed them up here, not that i have realy looked.

i usually wash my boat and trailer at the local car wash after every seshion cost me $5 first i have $2 rinse then $1 wash which runs out but the foam still spreads to the remainder then $2 rinse! and i run my motor at home probably not allowed though!

Wildfish,

With water restrictions here to stay, I invested in a small 240v Karcher gerni for $100.

I fill up a 40litre tub with water then use the gerni to suck the water from the tub/bucket to wash the boat.

I have checked with Sydney Water and this is 100% legal- no problems at all.

So as long as I suck the water from the tub/bucket I can wash my boat & trailer with the gerni until the cows come home. In regards to flushing outboard engines, you can still do it legally. To wash my boat and trailer I only use about 40-50litres of water....so using this method you still use heaps less water to achieve the same result. The Gernie makes light work of washing the carpet and the little bits of sun dried bait stuck on the gunnels. It is also easier to reach under and wash all the trailer components.

The days of hosing down the boat are over my friend so we have to find ways around it to protect and maintain our investments. If the politicians think that I won't be thoroughly washing my boat/outboard/trailer because of water restrictions they are kidding themselves. We have all spent alot of $$$ on boats/engines/tackle and I won't be sitting back watching them deteriorate anytime soon..

Nathan.

Wildfish,

With water restrictions here to stay, I invested in a small 240v Karcher gerni for $100.

I fill up a 40litre tub with water then use the gerni to suck the water from the tub/bucket to wash the boat.

I have checked with Sydney Water and this is 100% legal- no problems at all.

So as long as I suck the water from the tub/bucket I can wash my boat & trailer with the gerni until the cows come home. In regards to flushing outboard engines, you can still do it legally. To wash my boat and trailer I only use about 40-50litres of water....so using this method you still use heaps less water to achieve the same result. The Gernie makes light work of washing the carpet and the little bits of sun dried bait stuck on the gunnels. It is also easier to reach under and wash all the trailer components.

The days of hosing down the boat are over my friend so we have to find ways around it to protect and maintain our investments. If the politicians think that I won't be thoroughly washing my boat/outboard/trailer because of water restrictions they are kidding themselves. We have all spent alot of $$$ on boats/engines/tackle and I won't be sitting back watching them deteriorate anytime soon..

Nathan.

I'm with you there Nathan

Edited by The Red Herring

This is from the Sydney water Site :

The following are still permitted at any time:

Using a bucket or watering can to wash and rinse vehicles or water lawns and gardens.

Topping up any existing swimming pool.

Filling a pool less than 10,000L capacity.

Using water from a rainwater tank, as long as it is not connected to or topped up from Sydney Water mains.

Using a hose with a trigger nozzle or high pressure cleaning device to clean boat bilges and boat trailer brakes and wheels.

Using a hose to flush boat engines.

Cleaning garbage bins using a hose fitted with a trigger nozzle or with an on/off switch. This should be done within an official bin wash area or on grass.

Ross

Hi Miller

You can't legally water the boat believe it or not even if it is on the grass.

Also the bilge is only the insiide bilge section of our boat from and enquiry I made last year.

Last one. If you fill a tub you must be holding the hose while doin so as you can't let a hose run and then you can have your water blaster suck it out of the tub. A kid could be holding hose in tub and that would be OK.

The water board position is interesting as you can't fill your home water tank from the mains (even if you are hand holding the hose) and then use it for watering the garden but they say it is ok to fill a bin and connect your water blaster. Is there a difference between a tank and a tub.

On a mates boat we have used a flexible 100l water tank and filled it at home in the boot and while flushing the motor just connected the tank to the boat wash down pump and washed both boat, anchor well, back deck trailer, motor and the kids feet again. Amazing how far those coiled flexible hoses stretch and how quick it is with high pressure water. I'm wondering if that breaks the rules as it is a tank useing town water??

Time to put in the rainwater tank so things can get a decent wash.

Its time to install water a tank, I agree that I would use the hose to wash my big dollar investment but

if the inspectors are driving past they will not give a damn and still fine you. You then must either pay the

fine or go to court to fight it and I dont think your going to win. Even if the dam fills to 100 % we will never lose the water restrictions. Think I better start looking for a water tank.

:05:

Cheers Bentstik