Garfish

zen801

The other day i couldnt get a yakka to save my life but i burlyed up plenty of garfish.

They liked my bread but it was too stale to put on a hook.

What is best bait and tackle to catch em once youve got feeding freely from the burly.

Thanks.

The other day i couldnt get a yakka to save my life but i burlyed up plenty of garfish.

They liked my bread but it was too stale to put on a hook.

What is best bait and tackle to catch em once youve got feeding freely from the burly.

Thanks.

Take a look at the article on garfishing Here

Might be some ideas in there.

Great bait if you can get 'em.

Cheers,

Pete.

Zeman

I use a very small float about 100mm long with a 100mm trace and a long shank number 12 or 14 hook. I find that a small piece of prawn is better than bread dough because it is nice an soft and the hook can set more easily. the float is not weighted and lies flat on the surface. When it begins to stand up, you have a gar ready to be struck. Keep the rod tip down as you wind them in as this stops them jumping.

They are bloody tricky to catch... especially the little ones. :1prop:

i love garies. however they can be fiendishly difficult to catch at times. here are some of the things that i do:

i burley with breadcrumbs and tuna oil. i like this because it creats a little slick, and some of the crumb float. this is important because when the garies come in you can see the little V they make with their beaks as they swim around and pick the floating crumbs off the surface.

i also use light line. if they're not biting i'll just whack on about 2-3 m of 2 lb fluorocarbon. this seems to help.

make sure your bait is a nice slim profile. this makes it easy to put on you hook and easier for the garfish to eat. speaking of hooks, make sure they are tiny tiny tiny.

having small hooks makes hooking the garies heaps easier. often this is the hardest bit, especially when they aren't in the most cooperative mood.

that'll do. the rest of what i know was covered in that article.

hope that helps