Engine Emergency

Tom Tom

To all,

My Mercury 50HP 2 stroke, I used it on Fri, Sat and Sun and this is what happened on Monday morning.

Started the Engine on Monday morning no problems, trolled for about 20 - 30 minutes and then anchored up and turned off the engine.

When I went to start the engine I turned the keys 3 times and I noticed their was no power to turn on the engine.

I then saw the kill switch activated, so I de activated it and squeezed the fuel pump twice.

Put the coke up and tried to start again, the engine now had power but would not click over. It tried approx 12 times.

We then though it might be flooded so we waited 30 minutes and tried to start it again, with no luck.

Then we where towed back to shore

Took the spark plugs out and all 3 plugs where fouled up, dark and black

Placed the plugs in kerosene and lightly sanded the plugs and washed them in Kerosene again.

When dry, placed the plugs in and tried to start the engine with no luck

At this point, I noticed burnt out corroded wires coming from the flywheel going down to the batery charger and some other spot.

Can wire being burnt activate the kill switch?

Why are the spark plugs fauled eg black and dirty? Is it normal in a two stroke?

Edited by Tom Tom

Hi Tom, the wires coming from under the flywheel will be your stator or trigger wires and without these the engine will not have spark and that is why your plugs will be wet fouled. Remove the plugs and crank the engine over and check for sprak and I think you will find you do not have any.

Not a big job to repair and the easiest way is to rejoin the wires if you do not want to replace the faulty part and see how that goes. If you troll alot with your old Tech engine make sure you are reaching operating temp at ilde and run a good quality oil with the best being XD-100 and with this you will not see any smoke.

Let us know the outcome and if you have any questions just ask,

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Tom, the wires coming from under the flywheel will be your stator or trigger wires and without these the engine will not have spark and that is why your plugs will be wet fouled. Remove the plugs and crank the engine over and check for sprak and I think you will find you do not have any.

Not a big job to repair and the easiest way is to rejoin the wires if you do not want to replace the faulty part and see how that goes. If you troll alot with your old Tech engine make sure you are reaching operating temp at ilde and run a good quality oil with the best being XD-100 and with this you will not see any smoke.

Let us know the outcome and if you have any questions just ask,

Cheers,

Huey.

Huey you arethe greatest. That's exactly what has happened. :1prop:

We rejoined the wires and then I got a yearly service a bit earl;ier that usual.

Thank you for your informed comments :beersmile: cheers