Elastic Bands And Downrigging

roosterman

hi guys,

i was lucky to get a few kings to hit my downrigger last weekend... a couple of times they hit pretty hard and line didnt come away at first hit... i am alittle concerned at any damage that could occur to 50lb braid connected to clip.... i did notice that it affected the braid a little so am now gonna try elastic bands... my question is what size , brands and how do you use them..

i have seen them wrapped around line a few times then connect 2 ends to clip.

i have heard wrap a few times then to pass one loop through the other and attatch one to clip(not what i think i would do)...

i know the advantage of loading up rod more to auto strike when released so to speak..

thanks guys...... steve.....

hey mate what I do with the elestics is just wrap it around the line about 4 times, put it back through itself and just put one loop of the elastic in the clip.....works for me!

the elastics I use are just the normal ones from the newsagent i dont know where else to find differnt stength and size elastics.

Jack

normal elastics do the trick, just raid the office stationery cupboard and go from there, wrap it a few times then back through works the best but the other way mentioned above also works but i find it to slip abit at times.

a decent king will snap any band on there if not a quick jerk of the rod will do the trick once hooked up.

hi guys,

i was lucky to get a few kings to hit my downrigger last weekend... a couple of times they hit pretty hard and line didnt come away at first hit... i am alittle concerned at any damage that could occur to 50lb braid connected to clip.... i did notice that it affected the braid a little so am now gonna try elastic bands... my question is what size , brands and how do you use them..

i have seen them wrapped around line a few times then connect 2 ends to clip.

i have heard wrap a few times then to pass one loop through the other and attatch one to clip(not what i think i would do)...

i know the advantage of loading up rod more to auto strike when released so to speak..

thanks guys...... steve.....

Peter, the guide from pittwater recommended size 16, $1.95 from the stationer.

Im not a massive fan of using a band, i just use the clip....

he reason why the clip would not of release is because you may have put the line all the way in the clip, i only put it in the end....so the clip is just holding the line, this way line releases as soon as it gets a hit

thanks guys,

thinking back now i can see where i went wrong, as you suggested netic i did start putting line towards back of clip in my attempt to get bait quickly back out into the kingy frenzy..... amazing how much detail you can put into preparing then once the adrenaline frenzy hits out the window it goes...

well next time i will be better prepared and wont be challenged as much as now i know what to expect and am getting a good routine and technique happening.. the next challenge will be running both riggers but will def not do that solo... i think i may still try the bands but will first try tips of clip... as for braid getting weak spot from clips does anyone have any worries or theories on this......

thanks again guys.... once again raider helps enlighten me and help me be a better fisho........