Little Yellow Buttrest

PJ Garn

G'day Raiders

Just a precurser to this post... I also post my Carpin' adventures on

a Pommie website dedicated to Carp fishing and copped some over my Electronic bite alarm that I got at a local tackle shop here in OZ, in particular the rear Yellow Buttrest!!!

Here is a snippet of the comments that were made!!!

Well done, looks like we have another yellow buttrest user to join carpingod though :lol:
Carp equipment is limited in Austrailia so he may have had no choice. Carpingod on the other hand out of all the different tackle shops and online shops to choose from in the UK, not forgetting mail order from USA and Mainland Europe picked bright YELLOW buttrests
There can be NO excuses for using yellow buttrests.

It took me just a few moments to find an ebay trader that will post perfectly good black John Roberts type buttrests worldwide :roll:

Just for you PJ.....Fleabay item 220175776424

And so I responded with this post about my session yesterday!!!

Well another session with some Boilie success!!! I ventured out this afternoon for a quick four hours and after reading the replies to my last post Adrenaline Shaken in relation to my YELLOW BUTTREST, I felt another one coming on... so here it is!!! ;)

To top off my day, I was taking a few photos when I had another take and and dropped my camera in the drink!!! Ah well, guess now I know what I need for Christmas!!! :(

Little Yellow Buttrest

Today I was about to start this poem,

When a bite on my line, it got me going!

I dropped my pad and then my pen,

To do battle with a Carp, once again.

By standards recent,

The fight it was short,

But I succeed in landing,

A Common, of an eight pound sort! (Actually 8lb 7oz)

Robson125.jpg

So I re-bait my line,

A Boilie once more,

And miss another take,

After minutes just four!!!

And now as the rain,

Abates and it brightens some,

I lie on this bank,

And think "I'll have some fun!!!"

To those who read my words,

And knock, dig, criticise

Here is another,

For you to despise.

Recently formed was the CYBC,

A Yellow Buttrest to join it properly,

There's me and Carpingod, we're honorary members,

Are any of you likely contenders?

To me I don't care... it matters not,

That my buttrest is the hue of a creamy clot,

You see in my pictures, that I catch Carp,

Not sit at home to whinge, moan and harp!!!

And so fellow Carpologists,

What did you today?

Just look at your drab buttrests,

Or get out to play???

Me, as you've read,

I've spent the day abreast,

A stretch of my river,

With my Little Yellow Buttrest

Robson129.jpg

My Little Yellow Buttrest

Robson121.jpg

The setting

Robson120.jpg

Another rod's eye view... note the river in slight flood and rain falling!!!

Robson127.jpg

Second of the day - 6lb 13oz Although this fish was smaller than the first it fought like a beauty, it got into the main flow of the river and took me way down stream!!!!

NB. This fish doesn't feature in the poem!!!

Edited by PJ Garn

Sorry PJ,

Am having trouble understanding the mirth of your countrymen. Its just so hard to get excited over carp. I know I can say this safely in OZ, given their elevated status in the UK. They might be big, but they are ssssoooo ugly.

Poacher

Don't be sorry Poacher... Firstly to set the record straight.. you are my countrymen, I'm an Aussie by choice!!! You may not be able to excited over Carp fishing but... horses for courses mate!!! Tell me... have you ever been on a good days Carp fishing??? Oh and just remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!! :biggrin2::biggrin2:

Cheers as always

Hi Pj, love your attitude, large carp in the Uk are the holy grail of sport fishing i have friends in the uk who spend most of their income buying identical 4 rod set ups with all the latest gadgets spending solid weeks at a time renting a swim on a privately owned carp lake at $20 plus per day, in shocking pommie weather in the hope of catching a decent carp! There are no kingfish or YFT in the Uk i guess its all relative.

Uk anglers can only dream of the sort of fishing available in Australia both fresh and salt, as you have previously suggested maybe its not the carps fault that earlier government policy towards irrigation and indusrtry have had such an impact on native freshwater species.

carry on carping,

tim

they are big, ugly, smelly and tatseless IMO.

butt you are a poet and dont know it!...(clever verse there PJ )

..cheers!..stevo!..

Hi Stevo

I'd have to agree in most part... yes they are big, some can be ugly (the first fish I caught yesterday was a strange shape but I suspect it was a female and had just spawned!!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: ), all fish are smelly (just go to a fish shop) and as for tasteless; I don't eat em'!!!! (I fish merely for the sport)

I'm glad you enjoyed the poem!!! :biggrin2:

Cheers

PJ Garn

I don't fancy carp either but I think your reports and poems are brilliant!

RobMc

Buddy there are some BIG Carp not too far from where you live in Randwick that I'm itching to get my hooks into them!!! Thanks for your appreciation of my work!!!

Cheers

Hi Pj, love your attitude, large carp in the Uk are the holy grail of sport fishing i have friends in the uk who spend most of their income buying identical 4 rod set ups with all the latest gadgets spending solid weeks at a time renting a swim on a privately owned carp lake at $20 plus per day, in shocking pommie weather in the hope of catching a decent carp! There are no kingfish or YFT in the Uk i guess its all relative.

Uk anglers can only dream of the sort of fishing available in Australia both fresh and salt, as you have previously suggested maybe its not the carps fault that earlier government policy towards irrigation and indusrtry have had such an impact on native freshwater species.

carry on carping,

tim

Hey Tim

Thanks for your input... I've been there with those Pommies and they do truly love their sport!!! Yes we are spoilt for choice here in Oz but even still I can't get out to chase YFT when ever I choose because of the cost to do so... but guess what I can chase Carp anytime for less than $10 per session (A Can of "No Name" Corn = $0.85 + Half a loaf bread = $1.50 + Petrol @ $1.40 a bloody litre =??? :1badmood: )

One thing that we can learn from our Pommy counterparts is the respect that they have for the fish they catch. (I don't see them holding fish by gills, mouth or dropping them on the ground, etc, etc) I appreciate we are on the other side of the planet but... wouldn't it be nice to see photos of fish in attractive poses rather than with a thumb stuck down the poor creatures throat with all it's body weight hanging from those fat little sausages. (I see photos, particularly of Flathead and Bass being held this way) If you are scared of being spiked, use a wet towel and handle the fish with that... once the fish is under control it is easy to handle without being spiked!!!!

Working towards a change in attitude towards Carp and the way we do things in Australia!!! :thumbup:

Cheers as always

PJ Garn

G'day PJ.

In my honest opinion you are what fishing is all about :biggrin2: . It's apparent that you are enthusiastic about what you do and you get a great thrill out of catching fish. Obviously you have a great respect for your quarry - something that real fishermen do. Keep up the good work and enjoy your fishing :thumbup: .

Well done

Howard

G'day PJ.

In my honest opinion you are what fishing is all about :biggrin2: . It's apparent that you are enthusiastic about what you do and you get a great thrill out of catching fish. Obviously you have a great respect for your quarry - something that real fishermen do. Keep up the good work and enjoy your fishing :thumbup: .

Well done

Howard

Howard

Thanks for your support!!! Fishing I feel is all about the whole experience not just what we catch!!! :yahoo: How is the Carpin' situation around Wollongong??? What species is your favorite to target???

Cheers as always

Hi again PJ,

Not many carp around Wollongong itself except in Koomadigee Lagoon near Port Kembla. However above Tallowa Dam (near Kangaroo Valley) there are supposed to be plenty. My son has canoed down some of the streams that lead into the dam and reported seeing dozens of huge carp.

My main target down here are flathead on soft plastics or blackfish (if you can find the weed to catch them on :thumbdown: ).

Keep up the good work.

Howard

Hi pj,

Once again a great report :thumbup: .I have been thinking of trying abit of carp fishing in the menangle/camden area. I know a few spots that look like likely locations.

I have one question,what do you do with the carp when you catch them?

If i managed to catch one i would kill it humanley,but dont want to bring it home to dispose of it.I dont want to just leave it in the area rot either.

Was thinking of just bagging it and disposing of it in the first bin i find roadside.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Stephen

:1fishing1:

Hi pj,

Once again a great report :thumbup: .I have been thinking of trying abit of carp fishing in the menangle/camden area. I know a few spots that look like likely locations.

I have one question,what do you do with the carp when you catch them?

If i managed to catch one i would kill it humanley,but dont want to bring it home to dispose of it.I dont want to just leave it in the area rot either.

Was thinking of just bagging it and disposing of it in the first bin i find roadside.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Stephen

Hi Stephen

If you must kill your catch of Carp... I appreciate the fact that you do it quickly and humanly!!!

But let me pose this little question to you... (Morally) Who has the right to tell you, me or anyone that they must kill anything!!! I know DPI ask for you to remove them and I'm not going to go into this at length here but all I ask is you think before you act and ask yourself the question above!!!

Cheers as always

Edited by PJ Garn

I know DPI ask for you to remove them

Cheers as always

From fisheries website-

"carp have been identified as a major threat to Australia’s freshwater fisheries. They should not be

returned to the water alive and strict penalties apply for translocation of carp".Due to this ruling i dont really see any other option than to humanely kill them. I know they are prized fished elsewhere(so a good pommie show on foxtel on the weekend,targeting carp.They caught one that was 33pound,Geeez it was fat)but without trying to start an arguement i would much prefer to catch one of our native bass and maintain our waterways for them to thrive in.

Stephen.

Edited by Flightmanager

Vipernut... you'll get no arguements from me but I believe that Carp are scapegoats and we have been brainwashed into believing that they are a bigger problem than they actually are!!! I draw a parallel to those who are fighting in a war. Both sides believe that they are fighting for the right reasons!!! Yet they both can't be... can they??? :wacko::wacko:

To give you an example from my own personal experience... this year is shaping up to be a great one for the taking of Bass in the Nepean River system yet there are many Carp in here too!!! If these majestic creatures cause so much destruction why are we having such a great year??? I also have been catching quite a few Eeltailed Catfish, these fish will only live in a healthy system!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

As an end note it's my understanding that to date nobody has been prosecuted under these laws in Australia. If you read the legislation carefully it recommends that you not return them and penalties apply for translocation. Hence if you release them where they are caught from there is no translocation!!!!

Truly Australia's laws are so disjointed something has to be done to change them and bring all states inline with each other!!! Did you know in the ACT you can freely release Carp and in SA it's illegal to possess one (whatever this means!?)

Come out for a day with me and I'll show you what Carp fishin's all about!!!!

Cheers

Hi PJ,

I have caught a few carp - but only as a bycatch. You are right, they do pull hard on light gear. Glad to see you are proud to be an aussie.

Maybe I will have to eat humble pie and go carping for a day!!!!!

Poacher

Poacher

You could do a lot worse!!! Mate they are an awesome fish and I love them on my 6lb gear!!! The fish has an unfair advantage most times!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Just be careful you don't get caught poaching them though!!!! :biggrin2::biggrin2: (I don't know if poaching is a term that can be applied to Carp!!! Usually game or game fish!!!)

Cheers

As an end note it's my understanding that to date nobody has been prosecuted under these laws in Australia.

This may be true but i would hate to be the first,and have always obeyed the laws that are in place.

Truly Australia's laws are so disjointed something has to be done to change them and bring all states inline with each other!!! Did you know in the ACT you can freely release Carp

I agree we should have one standard law, I was aware of the ACTs policy where they give you the choice to either remove or return them.

Come out for a day with me and I'll show you what Carp fishin's all about!!!!

I would gladly join you on a carp expedition sometime in the near future.

Stephen

You could do a lot worse!!! Mate they are an awesome fish and I love them on my 6lb gear!!! The fish has an unfair advantage most times!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Just be careful you don't get caught poaching them though!!!! :biggrin2::biggrin2: (I don't know if poaching is a term that can be applied to Carp!!! Usually game or game fish!!!)

Cheers

I'd have to agree with you on carp been great fun on light gear they go absolutely insane.

I reckon they fight harder lb for lb then a lot of other fish and they'd easily pull a jewie backwards. Then again jewies in my experience are over-rated

hi all! if your ever out leeton...gundagai (dog on the tuckerbox) way, you will notice and be told.

i have fished there a few times and the carp walk on each others back sometimes(rampant)

and there has been obliteration of natives!......i was a young bloke of about 10 and the inlaws

fed us carp from dawn to dusk by the end of the week i almost stole the dog food!..ALMOST!..

but seriously keep on carpin for your fun!........but they are cane toads of the deep and not so deep!

..cheers!..stevo!..

PS.... sorry PJ i didn't mean beautiful fish shop smelly,....... i mean't sewer smelly!.... :074:

Edited by fishguts

Hi Guys

Can we please stay on topic which is your replies and responses to my day with my Little Yellow Buttrest!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

But just for your info I pulled these straight off the DPI website...

"Carp are often found in degraded areas, although it is not clear whether they cause the degradation or are simply able to survive in areas where native fish have been eliminated. While in some cases carp have probably been blamed for degradation that is actually the result of human activities, it is clear that they can have major impacts."

"The effects of carp on water quality are well documented; however, poor catchment management practices probably have a more substantial effect."

"Reduction in native fish numbers: The effects of carp on native fish are not well understood. Negative impacts of carp are thought to include competition for food and habitats and effects on recruitment (population replenishment). However, many native species (such as golden perch, Murray cod, silver perch and freshwater catfish) had experienced well-documented declines even before carp became widespread."

With that said even the DPI don't seem too sure that the Carp is the problem and as I've said before they are the scapegoat and we have been brainwashed into our ways of thought towards them!!! Their words seem to back things both ways!!!

FYI - The Carp is not native to the UK or Europe either but they are not responsible for major damage to river systems there!!! I've heard people say that rivers in the UK are limestone based and hence thats why they don't cause problems... thats a long bow to draw , as all rivers there can't be the same!!!

I'd love to continue this topic and feel it should be aired but will start a discussion in fishing chat at another time to do so!!! Meanwhile tell me what you think about my Carpin' outing!!! :yahoo:

Cheers as always

Edited by PJ Garn

Can we please stay on topic which is your replies and responses to my day with my Little Yellow Buttrest!!!

I'd love to continue this topic and feel it should be aired but will start a discussion in fishing chat at another time to do so!!! Meanwhile tell me what you think about my Carpin' outing!!! :yahoo:

Cheers as always

Hi pj,

Sorry that my question has taken away the focus from what was a great report, :thumbup:

I thouroughly enjoy reading your posts/poems on your carpin adventures,and look forward to your next report.

I will definately take you up on your offer to show me what carp fishing is all about(sometime in the near future) and then,hopefully i will have my own carp story to report on.

Stephen

ps Enjoy your little yellow buttrest!

No offense guys but the mods really look down on posts going off topic!!!

Thanks all for your kind words of encouragement about my poetry!!! I really didn't know how it would go down at first but it seems that although there are some doubters, there are more of you that enjoy the read... I already have the title of my next project to be going on with... "A Blanking Good Day"

Vipernut just PM me when you are up for a fish!!! I wouldn't mind heading down Campbellltown way to explore some new Carpin' locations!!! I'm fairly flexible and can even t-up mid week if you're up for it!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Cheers as always

i used to do a lot od carp fishing when i was a kid.

Back in my home country indonesia i paid to fish this fish and used to put it in the pond at the back of my house......and they are not even close to the size you are catching mate.