My 1st Flat Head!

sharpy

Last saturday i managed to get out and throw a few plastics around. It was an area up near Rozelle. There was a few spots of rain coming down but i'd made so much effort to get there so i was'nt gonna call it off!

A couple of mates who dont fish came along out of interest and i set up two extra rods so they could get involved. We got there and these two started thrashing the water with a few casts with the bail arm closed, god knows how many knots they got on my new reels loaded with brand new braid!!! But lowe and behold after 20mins one of them shouts "i think i've got one......yeah....it's moving ...i think it's a fish" Turned out to be a flathead of around 45cm. Over the next 2 hours he caught another, so did my other friend again all around 45cm. I managed to drop two fish then at the last gasp (You know, the "one last cast disorder") i managed to score one!........about half the size of the one's my friends caught! :mad3:

Basicly i'm after some new friends! lol Nah i'm just joking, i'm glad they caught because they never would have stayed that long, infact they want to go again in the week after work one night! Oh well looks like i'm gonna be untying a few more knots....and unhooking fish......and tying rigs......and hooking bait....and...you get the idea.

:074:

Last saturday i managed to get out and throw a few plastics around. It was an area up near Rozelle. There was a few spots of rain coming down but i'd made so much effort to get there so i was'nt gonna call it off!

A couple of mates who dont fish came along out of interest and i set up two extra rods so they could get involved. We got there and these two started thrashing the water with a few casts with the bail arm closed, god knows how many knots they got on my new reels loaded with brand new braid!!! But lowe and behold after 20mins one of them shouts "i think i've got one......yeah....it's moving ...i think it's a fish" Turned out to be a flathead of around 45cm. Over the next 2 hours he caught another, so did my other friend again all around 45cm. I managed to drop two fish then at the last gasp (You know, the "one last cast disorder") i managed to score one!........about half the size of the one's my friends caught! :mad3:

Basicly i'm after some new friends! lol Nah i'm just joking, i'm glad they caught because they never would have stayed that long, infact they want to go again in the week after work one night! Oh well looks like i'm gonna be untying a few more knots....and unhooking fish......and tying rigs......and hooking bait....and...you get the idea.

Looks like they are all HOOKED! :074:

wait till they start getting in their cars and all they can smell is Berkely juice coming from their car boots. :1prop:

Edited by Yes Dear

You just keep persisting & be confident that the bigger fish will come,i have caught many flatties in the

same area that i get smaller one's.

Look for shallow sand flat's that drop off into deeper water,especially in the last 3 hours of the runout tide.

Also keep your plastics size a bit larger,say between 5 inch & 6 inch as this will attract the better fish which don't have any trouble swallowing these straight down.

goodluck mate,

steve

You just keep persisting & be confident that the bigger fish will come,i have caught many flatties in the

same area that i get smaller one's.

Look for shallow sand flat's that drop off into deeper water,especially in the last 3 hours of the runout tide.

Also keep your plastics size a bit larger,say between 5 inch & 6 inch as this will attract the better fish which don't have any trouble swallowing these straight down.

goodluck mate,

steve

Thanks for that, i'll give it a go at the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

:074:

I always find this is the way - It seems bloody ridiculous went you put hundreds of hours more into fishing and someone casually comes along for the day and catches larger or more specimens than yourself. Take for example

I have been fishing this little spot in Manly for awhile catching small flatties, the odd small snapper and the like on SP's. So my sister is over visiting and I decide (more for my own benefit) to take her fishing. So I take her to the same spot and gave her a slightly heavier outift with a 7g 1" smelt hardbody that she found easier to cast (having no experience) and lo and behold, while doing an action I personally thought was way off she hooks and lands a 65cm flatty!!! but then what did I expect I suppose after taking her YFT fishing once and she only boated the biggest on the day at 55Kg! not bad for a girl that weighs about the same!

The only good thing I suppose is both were an outrageous but delicious outcome..