Shimano Tekota Reels

russel_pollard

Fishos - Anyone had any experience with the above reels?

My old mans missus is thinking of getting him one for his birthday for trolling behind his boat. Personally I think it might be a little under powered for catching large tuna/dollies/wahoo etc - Note this is a sailboat so is generally still doing 6-8knots in the opposite direction of the fish when it has to be brought in.

personally I think a Tiagra might be a better option but these seem pretty reasonably priced

Any thoughts welcome!

Cheers for the feedback - again it great to talk to peopl in the know. Having had a flick around I figured it was a toss up bet ween the Tyrnos and the TLDII

Ultimately Im going to reccomend the TLDII Model TLD50IIWLRSA, purely on the basis that it packs alot of grunt and line capacity. Having stood on the back of his boat going 9knots forwards and having a Tuna go the other way I reckon he needs both

Cheers

Bear in mind that trolling from a yacht he may find limited success because of the depth of the keel frightening surface fish off. Every fishing book i have ever read that mentions trolling on yachts all say that it is not very successful.

Either way it's better than not trolling though!

Was just thinking...when trolling behind a yacht if you hook a fish would the force of the boat going forward and the angler winding the fish in and the fish running the opposite way result in many pulled hooks?

Sorry if i have confused anyone.

I confuse myself sometimes.

cheers james

Was just thinking...when trolling behind a yacht if you hook a fish would the force of the boat going forward and the angler winding the fish in and the fish running the opposite way result in many pulled hooks?

Sorry if i have confused anyone.

I confuse myself sometimes.

cheers james

Over the years - the old man has caught and boated a few monsters, 50Lb+ Wahoos, 4ft Great Barracouda, Longfin and Yellowfin tuna up to 40kg as well as some really big bull Dorado. A bit impractical in that size when you are cruising due to storage so often they are released. but in general most of the fish above are beaten by a combination of the old 130lb/80Lb rigs he carries and the speed of the yacht going forward pulling them onto the surface. This works against you when the fish is large/powerful enough to fight the momentum of the boat and the tackle resulting in the reels being spooled, line breaks, pulled & straightened hooks, and twice I had the butt of a short boat rod snapped off in the holder - thank goodness for the snap shackles and nylon rope or we would have had to replace more than the lures... after one excursion where the rapala had survived I pulled the sorry thing in only to watch a YFT elephant I estimate well in excess of 100Kg (it was over 6ft long) slowly trail it in and then veer off 4m from the back of the boat. It or its mate had straightened 2 of the bottom treble hooks and 1 on the underhanging treble. It was at that point I changed them to large doubles but I have even had to wire them together as they too have been pulled apart or straightened...In case you are wondering this incident was about 7-8 days out from Cape Town on route to Brazil and off the sounder...

but in answer to your question - yes there are a few pulled hooks or line breaks but due to the nature of the tackle and boat momentum it takes a significant beast to carry this out.. like the above sized tuna, the odd bill fish and occasional Mako

G'day Zuluboy,

I've been using a Tekota 600 for bottom bashing, snapper, kings, dollies etc for the past 2 years and they are as tough as nails. Recently I picked up second hand a Tekota 800 and a Tiagra 30. They are both exceptional qualtity reels. The Tekota is simple and easy to use and a bit more of an all rounder. The Tiagra is a great trolling reel. Both would do the job just the Tiagra is a little more trolling specific. Good luck and all the best for chrissy......

Dave