Rods To Match Exsit 2508

Little Hooker

hey raiders,

I think its time for a change for a new rods with my exist 2508.

I own a SP outfit which is a shimano sysmetre 2500 with a Pflueger 6'0"" 2-4kg light fast action SP rod

I often throw SP , abit of bait fishin and starting to usin little slugs.

I've drop the shimano for the exist 2508 on this rod and i think i need a more tougher rod to match this ne reel.

whats a good rod out there that i could match with it?? fishing is stated above.

Edited by Little Hooker

Hey BB,

I do have a few local stores that i go to buy tackle and tell them stories of the one that gets away. Mainly young blokes these days that tell you things (true or not true) jus to sell you something. You do get the odd bloke that is gunuine. But alot is about sales sales sales. IMO

Ive rather ask ppl that can share there experiences and knowledge with no sales in-mind, then go in the tackle shops and see what they say. Then make my choice.

give us a price range to narrow the choices...although I've landed kings to 76cm on the 7 foot version of your rod. they're plenty tough but your reel probably deserves a crisper partner.

Edited by kbark

give us a price range to narrow the choices...although I've landed kings to 76cm on the 7 foot version of your rod. they're plenty tough but your reel probably deserves a crisper partner.

I was thinkin the same thing about deserving a better partner :1prop:

Well considering im new too all this and have been keeping a eye out on rods here and there ( which can cost heaps) i would be willing to spend 300 give or take from that mark.

You landed a kingie on one of these rods?? I thought my rod was about to shit it self when i caught a slimmie the other day...Cant imagen what a kingie at 76cm would do to it

You landed a kingie on one of these rods?? I thought my rod was about to shit it self when i caught a slimmie the other day...Cant imagen what a kingie at 76cm would do to it

They always take the light rod with the floating strip bait. I think I've caught more on this rod (which doubles for squid) than any of my others. It does take 10-15 minutes to bring them in unless they find some structure...

For 300 bucks I would look at the Daiwa Sol rods(bit over 300) Daiwa Team Advantage(bit under), Shimano Starlo Pro Lite (only $200, although this won't cast metal plugs heavier than 5g), Shimano T-curve, Pflueger Medalist (a bit more than 300). Alternatively, check out Tony (one of our sponsers at Fishfinder). He's known to produce very nice custom rods which would go for around that price too.

The problem you might have is wanting to do quite a bit with the rod....a very fast action (sensitive tip) is needed to work the sps. This doesn't lend itself to cast much in the way of metal plugs as they are too heavy for the tip. If it were me I'd have a second rod for that and stick to something designed to work sps, but it depends what kind of fishing you do the most.

Kit

Edited by kbark

Hey kit,

Thanks for the advices. I happen to drive pass fredy's fishing shop today and decieded to swing pass and have a look around.

Teamdawia have some very nice rods and they are on sale for a pretty decent price!

there was 2 rods that i like the most. They were the teamdawia SOL 2-4kg and teamdawia IMZ 2-4kg.

both felt great but both for different types of fishing.

The SOL have a more solid tip (maybe good for slugs ) and the IMZ had a fin tip great for SP's. Both of these rods had heaps of grunt down low. SOL was price around $240 and the IMZ was $300. both with a big discount from retail price. Only down side of the IMZ was it didnt have silicone gudies where the SOL did... :mad3:

Not keen on the shimano rods felt jus to fat and heavy.