Trout Declared An "alien Species"

mrmoshe

Trout declared an "alien species"

TROUT could be banned from Victorian waters under a plan to eliminate the state's rivers of foreign fish.

The popular game fish has been declared an alien species and put on a hit-list for eradication in a move that has outraged anglers.

Trout would be culled from major Victorian rivers such as the Murray, Goulburn and Yarra, despite the Brumby Government pouring about 400,000 trout into our waterways each year.

Industry experts warn any ban could cost the Victorian economy up to $300 million a year and threaten small towns, which rely on tourism.

The Murray Darling Basin Commission is pressing ahead with the investigation.

It has advertised for tenders for "native fish recovery following the removal of alien species".

The commission will launch a study next month into the impact of reducing numbers of trout, redfin, carp and oriental weatherloach in Victorian waters.

It will also analyse the cost and impact of removing the fish.

Goulburn Valley fishing guide David Pickering said the move was "extreme and stupid" and anglers around Victoria would fight it.

"We need trout because they drive a huge tourist dollar and could drive an even bigger tourist dollar," he said.

Commission chief Wendy Craik conceded the removal of trout was a sensitive issue.

"I can understand that fishing people might be upset about this but we need to look at what is best for our rivers and native fish," she said.

Australian Trout Foundation president Geoff Hall said Victoria's fishing industry was worth $1.3 billion a year.

Rainbow and brown trout alone were worth about $288 million.

"This will devastate local and regional communities," Mr Hall said.

"And it's absurd because trout have been in Victorian waters since 1870 and they're beneficial - unlike carp, which are a pest."

Perhaps if they released 400,000 murray cod fingerlings people would be happy chasing an icon rather than an introduced species. I'm sure that if there were heaps of them around they would be a major target. All you have to do is look at how the jewfish has become a major target in the Georges river after years of just making cameo appearances. This has come about purely through the fisheries work with pumping thousands of fish into the river each year.

If the trout weren't stocked each year and a number of local species replaced the program sooner or later fishing habits would change to chase the other species and the associated industries (tackle,bait, tourism etc)would still be relevant.

Just my two bobs worth, not sure I am right.

Dave

Sounds like a good theory Davemmm, just let them die out naturally (on the end of a line), and gradually replace with native species. They just need to make it illegal to return them to the H20. Im sure that we are over simplifying it a bit, but to me, total extermination in one big bang sounds wishful...

Perhaps if they released 400,000 murray cod fingerlings people would be happy chasing an icon rather than an introduced species. I'm sure that if there were heaps of them around they would be a major target. All you have to do is look at how the jewfish has become a major target in the Georges river after years of just making cameo appearances. This has come about purely through the fisheries work with pumping thousands of fish into the river each year.

If the trout weren't stocked each year and a number of local species replaced the program sooner or later fishing habits would change to chase the other species and the associated industries (tackle,bait, tourism etc)would still be relevant.

Just my two bobs worth, not sure I am right.

Dave

That's an excellent point =)

Hopefully the mexicans(Victorians) will see it from this perspective. Murray cod will be alot more impressive for em to brag about rather then their lil pinkies and gummies in PPB and Westernport

When you really think about it, it is difficult to defend the practice of introducing a foreign fish into Australian waterways simply for the purposes of angling.

I agree, however, that Victorian fisheries shouldn't take any drastic action until they're confident of re-establishing a native fish population that can replace the trout as an angling target.

Then again, I'm not a trout fisherman so this is pretty easy for me to say.