Need A New Rod And Reel

alasdair

Hi guys.

I was lucky enough to get a very nice present from the :wife: for christmas. I will be heading up north chasing some barramundi for a couple of days, might try and squeeze in some light bluewater stuff as well. I am using this as an excuse to buy some new tackle ( so I can enjoy the trip to the full!) :biggrin2: Am looking at a spin outfit, 8 kilo ish, 6-7 ft, will be using braid. I have max $400 to spend on the combo. I know some people will say go for a baitcaster but I find the eggbeater less trouble.

Thanks in advance

alasdair :thumbup:

Hi guys.

I was lucky enough to get a very nice present from the :wife: for christmas. I will be heading up north chasing some barramundi for a couple of days, might try and squeeze in some light bluewater stuff as well. I am using this as an excuse to buy some new tackle ( so I can enjoy the trip to the full!) :biggrin2: Am looking at a spin outfit, 8 kilo ish, 6-7 ft, will be using braid. I have max $400 to spend on the combo. I know some people will say go for a baitcaster but I find the eggbeater less trouble.

Thanks in advance

alasdair :thumbup:

Bluewater.

Line capacity is important. I'd look at a Daiwa Capricorn 4500J. 20/30lb Braid. Leader to suit...

Built for Serious jigging. But casts ok too. (I got 2 of them now) They go for $260/275. Will handle 99% of fish you encounter up there.

Spend rest on Penn. Berkley. etc. rod. To suit. In that price range...

Macka17

Cheers Macka

Will look into them. After something that I will be able to use where ever, and that will last. What braid do you use with them? I got some cheapo stuff on my light SP outfit but get heaps of knots. Have only used braid before on my overhead/heavier stuff that I haven't had to cast with.

alasdair

Cheers Macka

Will look into them. After something that I will be able to use where ever, and that will last. What braid do you use with them? I got some cheapo stuff on my light SP outfit but get heaps of knots. Have only used braid before on my overhead/heavier stuff that I haven't had to cast with.

alasdair

I use Tuff line mainly. never had a problem, but I've loaded some Fireline 20lb on one, just to try it.

People reckon it's better for Eggbeaters.

Time will tell.

You get two spools with reel. Load one Braid. One Good Nylon. Low stretch. X10 etc.

I use both.. Nylon for the Mack's, trolling. Bastards hit like a freight train.

Macka17

Just a word of warning - if you're lure or plastic fishing for barra, the Capricorn 4500J may be a bit heavy for extended casting tight into snags over a couple of days. However, it is a good size for light bluewater work.

If you're after a 8 kilo barra spinning outfit, then a 3000-4000 sized Daiwa (eg Tierra, TDA, Sol) or 4000 sized Shimano (Stradic, Twinpower) would probably be more appropriate. May leave you slightly undergunned for any 30 kg macks that decide to hit your lure though.

Just a word of warning - if you're lure or plastic fishing for barra, the Capricorn 4500J may be a bit heavy for extended casting tight into snags over a couple of days. However, it is a good size for light bluewater work.

If you're after a 8 kilo barra spinning outfit, then a 3000-4000 sized Daiwa (eg Tierra, TDA, Sol) or 4000 sized Shimano (Stradic, Twinpower) would probably be more appropriate. May leave you slightly undergunned for any 30 kg macks that decide to hit your lure though.

That's why I suggested the Capricorn.

Some may find it a bit heavy. Myself, Im the old school. Weight never bothered me. (I was brought up on the old Mitchel 499..Dam. and blue Shakespeares. )But it's more than adequate for any bluewater fishing he'll be doing. Plus he'll be very glad if he picks up a metre plus barra. Big Jack. Queenie etc.

It's all compromise.

Regards

Macka17

Hi guys.

Thanks for the feedback. I think me and you think along the same lines Macka, I used to love my penn senator 4/0 for bottom bashing back in Scotland, tough as and will last forever! I do enjoy fishing light now, but!! its no good when you get smashed. I had actually been looking at the stradic as a possibility....it is indeed a compromise..

if only I had another $400 to spend

cheers

alasdair