Cook Islands..

Grimo

I was there nearly 3 years ago (April 2005) for my honeymoon. It was quite windy most days, so we were unable to get out. Raratonga is pretty much totally surrounded by a narrow fringing reef and partial fringing lagoon, and there are no islands offshore within reach by boat. So the fishing is pretty much open water with all your usual pelagic suspects. There are a few local charter operators and you will be able to book them very easily, the day before (weather dependant off course). Things do not ever get extremely busy in the cook islands ! It is all Aussies and a few kiwi's and that's about it. If you are shooting over to Aitutaki also, they have a few local charter operators available (basically large trailerboats). Aitutaki has the usual offshore pelagic and reef fishing (with no islands nearby either), however it has the added benefit of being surround by one of the largest coral lagoons in the world. Nearly 18 km's accross from memory and a few small coral cays also. So if the weather is foul you could fish in the lagoon, as it is huge. Do not be too much in a hurry to make a booking at either island, just book it in when you get there.

Edited by stingray

I was there nearly 3 years ago (April 2005) for my honeymoon. It was quite windy most days, so we were unable to get out. Raratonga is pretty much totally surrounded by a narrow fringing reef and partial fringing lagoon, and there are no islands offshore within reach by boat. So the fishing is pretty much open water with all your usual pelagic suspects. There are a few local charter operators and you will be able to book them very easily, the day before (weather dependant off course). Things do not ever get extremely busy in the cook islands ! It is all Aussies and a few kiwi's and that's about it. If you are shooting over to Aitutaki also, they have a few local charter operators available (basically large trailerboats). Aitutaki has the usual offshore pelagic and reef fishing (with no islands nearby either), however it has the added benefit of being surround by one of the largest coral lagoons in the world. Nearly 18 km's accross from memory and a few small coral cays also. So if the weather is foul you could fish in the lagoon, as it is huge. Do not be too much in a hurry to make a booking at either island, just book it in when you get there.

Thanks stingray im going to both islands so ill be trying my best to get out at both..

Once again thanks for your reply..

Yeah mate I was there in October 2005, it was pretty good went out with "REEL TIME" I can't remember what the guides name was but I had a ball - landed 4 mahi mahi the biggest going 24kg and also 2 Wahoo to 13kg.

All trolled up 250 - 500m from the beach just outside the lagoon, obviously we had a great day but I think that the fishing is good there especially when the wahoo are on - would definately recommend Reel Time for sure.

Cheers

Damo

Edited by damobows

Yeah mate I was there in October 2005, it was pretty good went out with "REEL TIME" I can't remember what the guides name was but I had a ball - landed 4 mahi mahi the biggest going 24kg and also 2 Wahoo to 13kg.

All trolled up 250 - 500m from the beach just outside the lagoon, obviously we had a great day but I think that the fishing is good there especially when the wahoo are on - would definately recommend Reel Time for sure.

Cheers

Damo

Thanx damo, just what i wanted to hear and whta the missus was dreading.. :wife: