My Boat Drops To The Helm Side

bardup

Hello All

First Post long time browser, so go easy on me.

I have a Barcrusher 560C with a 140hp Johnson outboard and have a problem with trimming the boat.

The boat gets up on the plane easily but after travelling 100 mtrs or so then decides to noticeably "dip" to the helm side. This has happened since new and we now have 20 hrs clocked up.

We have done all manner of things to balance the boat even emptying the bait tank thinking the weight on that side might be a problem, even had three hefty blokes stand on the opposite side whilst underway all to no avail.

We sent an email to Barcrusher and to his credit Peter Clelland responded with three possibilities, balance, wind and as a last resort fit trim tabs. Ruled out balance, wind....even on calm waters with flat water still do's the same thing, trim tabs my thought was if it needed trim tabs Why are they not fitted as standard? and if fitted.... Wouldn't this put more pressure on one Tab than the other? Making it more susceptable to possible failure?

We have noticed that if you remove the bungs from the bouyancy tanks either side of the keel the air is expelled under pressure. Indicating no leaks... But.... Would this increased pressure possibly make the boat lean whilst underway?

Has anyone else had this problem? and Been able to solve it?

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated

Bardup

G'day Bardup,

I also have a 560C but I'm not having the same problem. Having said that I notice the boat is quite weight sensitive when the livebait tank is full and I need to distribute the weight to the opposite side. Having some weight in the kill tank also seems to help. When removing the bungs from the transom the air is also expelled under pressure. I haven't fitted trim tabs, so i'm not really much of a help. Good luck with it......

Dave

The Bar crusher guys know their boats so try everything they suggest and if it isn't solved ask them or a dealers rep to inspect the boat and if nothing obvious go for a on water test with them on board

Straight boats don't do this as said by the other poster- your boat is probably striaght so some quessies if you know the anwsers to some it may help find a solution.

At rest does the boat lean- if so it is a weight thing. Simple to just walk around the boatin the water on a sandy beach windless morning and confirm it is sitting level. Same distance from water to gunnel on both sides. If not it is a weight distribution thing. You can double check this and work out a solution by putting something like a jerry can full of water or 2 to trim the boat then take it for a run to prove it was the solution.

Does it happen no matter how you have the boat trimmed ie bow up bow down?.

Has it any dings on the underside on the planing surfaces? Trailer or overtight tie down damage that might have bowed in the hull? Is the keel of the hull centered and straight to your eye?

Check if the engine is mounted vertical- if not it can induce a trim problem

Is your cavitation plate on the motor straight or in any way damaged / twisted

Running any special prop like a low pitch 4 bladed affair?

Is your skeg in front of the prop straight.

Is the motor in the straight ahead position when this tilting is occurring or is it steered slightly to one side. If it is not straight it may be helped initially by trim tab adjustment just above the prop.

Some very deep v boats that do not have any fuel or load in them have these issues as they are not sitting deep enough in the water on the plane. Get 2 fat friends to sit at the transom and see if the handeling changes.

Do you have a wing on the cav plate- permatrim or doel fins?

Any major fixtures on the transom of the boat like non standard water pick ups etc etc?

What canopy has it got?

"We have noticed that if you remove the bungs from the bouyancy tanks either side of the keel the air is expelled under pressure. Indicating no leaks... But.... Would this increased pressure possibly make the boat lean whilst underway?"

Not unless the pressure is bowing out the ally plate on the planing surface at the rear and that is pretty reinforced - doubtfull.

Hook or bow in the hull- not likely but just so you know- where the planing surface at the rear of the hull or along the centerline of the hull is not flat. Bow is where it is like a banana looking from the side and it induces porpoising and other handelling traits and hook which is the reverse which can cause the negative nose trim and sagging to one side. You eye is as good a tool as anything but a 6 foot straight edge will show it up clearly. Bar crusher have a modern factory and gear so I wouldn't expect this but you never know one may have slipped through or been damaged in transit.

Edited by pelican

Hi Bardup, welcome to Fishraider. Some deep vee alloy boats are very prone to weight distribution and that can affect ride. If the outboard has been set-up correctly, the hull is straight and true, without any hooks in the side hull sheets and the dealer/manufacturer determnines this then I would be asking the same question, why are trim tabs not fitted as STD. If they say becasue they do not have a leaning problem than I guess your boat does have something wrong with it and Trim Tabs will overcome this but not fix the cause of the leaning problem.

As a few guys have said, go for a run with the dealer and show him what you mean, we have had boats in the past from different manufactures that will lean even on water that is calm and windless days and the good manufacturers take the boats back and repair the problem.

Hope you get it sorted out to your satisification,

Cheers,

Huey.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Bardup , i been lurking around this site for 12 months or so and this is my first post too ,

I have a 530c barcrusher, got it in april 2007 and it does the same thing , seems like a weight distribution problem , i have put all my safety gear and some tools that i carry with us under the front port side vee cushion also i carry a 10ltr water bottle plus other gear under the port side gunnell , seems to fix it till one too many passengers move to the starboard side then she starts to lean over again , that's when i start to yell out move over :mad3: then they go back and then she straightens up again , appart from that they are a fantastic well built strong boat,

hope this helps,

Joe.

Hello All

First Post long time browser, so go easy on me.

I have a Barcrusher 560C with a 140hp Johnson outboard and have a problem with trimming the boat.

The boat gets up on the plane easily but after travelling 100 mtrs or so then decides to noticeably "dip" to the helm side. This has happened since new and we now have 20 hrs clocked up.

We have done all manner of things to balance the boat even emptying the bait tank thinking the weight on that side might be a problem, even had three hefty blokes stand on the opposite side whilst underway all to no avail.

We sent an email to Barcrusher and to his credit Peter Clelland responded with three possibilities, balance, wind and as a last resort fit trim tabs. Ruled out balance, wind....even on calm waters with flat water still do's the same thing, trim tabs my thought was if it needed trim tabs Why are they not fitted as standard? and if fitted.... Wouldn't this put more pressure on one Tab than the other? Making it more susceptable to possible failure?

We have noticed that if you remove the bungs from the bouyancy tanks either side of the keel the air is expelled under pressure. Indicating no leaks... But.... Would this increased pressure possibly make the boat lean whilst underway?

Has anyone else had this problem? and Been able to solve it?

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated

Bardup

g-day this might be your new boat but i wouldnt be making it your problem make it the dealers problem & let us know how you get on. no better business than word of mouth.

Ive got a 530c and when I first got it I was having the same problem and was very disapointed with the boat.

But I solved the problem.

I took the boat out on Botany bay and just practised getting up on the plane adjusting the trim settings for the motor as I was going along.. It took me a while to get the hang of it. I found that the best trim angle is between 3 and 4 degrees but this depends on the number of people and the amount of gear that we have on board.

The boat is very weight sensitive and if you balance out the load you will find that it makes a big difference.

Ive now got just over 80 hours up on the motor and am having no problems with it.

My advise is to get out on the water and practice with it.

Cheers

Balmain Bob