Tohatsu Tldi

Aussie Angler

G'day All,

I was just wondering if anyone out there has a Tohatsu TLDI? I was looking at getting a TLDI-50 for my 4.3m Stejcraft to replace my failed '88 model Evinrude 50. I was just after any information or comments (for or against) buying one.

I have previously read the article on Bisso's siezed 70hp. But want to know if there are any positive stories out there.

Cheers Rossco

Biggest thing I will say is this, if you plan of fitting a foil or using an aftermarket prop, talk to your dealer first and clarify exactly if and how it will effect your warranty. Whilst I havent had any warranty issues, after buying the motor (60hp lo-tech) the tohatsu importer decided to play silly buggers and effectively told me that any thing and everything would void my warranty if I did it.

GT

Hi Rossco and welcome to Fishraider. I personally believe there are better "clean" 50HP outboards on the market than a Tohatsu. Their system of direct injection is very complicated with many moving parts and a belt that can fail and the back-up from the importer can be a problem-I have heard many horror stories.

I have run a few and they go OK, but being a small cubic capacity engine I thought it lacked performance compared to other 50HP clean engines I have run and having a small gearcase does not help with performance or strength. Also being only two star could affect resale down the track compared to other 3 Star engines if and when the Australian government follows the US and EU on emissions.

Best thing to do is run one and if you like it and the price is a fair bit less than the more established brands and you trust the dealer and more importantly the importer go for it and enjoy.

PM me if you would like more info that is probably not the best to say on a public forum,

Cheers,

Huey.

I think the units are basically same as Mariner/Merc and as so ok. It Just seems you dont get the same level of dealer/warrantty support, and the few horror stories on here have scared raiders off. Good advice and help from a good dealer getting it right is worth more than the few dollars you save up front.

Hi Jim, you are partially correct. Mercury owes a large percentage of TMC (makers of Tohatsu) and the little carby Mercs and some smaller 4-StroKe Merc are rebadged Tohatsu. For those that are interested the 2-Stroke Carby 2.5/3.3/4/5/6/8/15 Super/25/30 and 40HP are Tohatsu while the 2.5/3.5/4/5/6/8/9.9/25 and 30HP 4-Stroke are Tohatsu based also.

Mercury run the OPTIMAX DFI system and even though it is similar to the TLDI system it is simplier and in my opinion a better design, but the smallest OPTI is only 75HP.

Again mate like I mentioned in the reply PM to you I think there are better engines on the market, and not being a public forum it was a more appropriate place to tell you why, but the best thing to do is go for a run and see if you like the engine first and then if you trust the dealer and importer and the price is a big enough saving over the more established brands go for it.

Cheers,

Huey.

• 2 weeks later...

Tohatsu have an overall excellent reputation for reliability in their outboards around the world, particularly in the Asian markets where there are very popular. They are a Japanese company, the motors are built in Japan and they have been in business for over 50 years. This is why Mercury have taken a major slice, Tohatsu built motors rebadged as Merc/Mariner will only help improve their own reputation for reliability.

Edited by stingray

from my experience, the tohatsu motors can be reliable! like any manufactured item, there are obviously good ones and bad/inferior quality ones. the difference, unfortunately, with tohatsu is the importer (lakeside marine) are notoriously poor with warranty and tend to leave it for the dealers to resolve. this affects the consumer insofar they tend to be left in the lurch while the dealer tries to play middle man with the importer.

i still have my rebuilt 70hp tohatsu and it hasnt missed a beat in the last 18 months since being repaired!!!

i guess it comes down to your priority!!! if the motor doesnt have any problems, go for a TLDI, but if you have concerns about warranty etc.voice your concern to the dealer prior to purchase, see what they will do for you. hope that helps!

Regards

Mick

:thumbup::thumbup: