Fishing The Hawkesbury

fisherboy

A big piece of water with about a million possible answers.... It's my old stomping ground.

Not sure how big your boat is or what sort of fishing you're into but here's a couple of starters.

Catching live bait (yakkas & slimies): first light at West Head just in front of the old concretee pillbox (you can't miss it)

Flathead drifts: the southern side of Lion Island is a good place to start

Bottom fishing: Early or late, anchor along drop offs at West Reef, East Reef, Flint & Steel... good chance for Kingfish or small Snapper at the first 2 and bream & flathead too at F&S, depending on how you fish them.

Trolling small lures around West Head or Box Head will often pick you up tailor. Early mornings on the right day will find tailor, kings, bonito and salmon in the mouth of the bay and up into Pittwater but once the sun gets up they get scarce.

Downrigging live bait inside Pittwater among the moored boats is a good way to get Kingfish.

I've only just broken my Jewie duck and I'd be killed if I gave any information away on that front other than to say all the Jewies are always caught in Spot X (if you don't believe me, ask anyone that catches a few and they'll tell you that's THE spot) :1prop:

Only one other thing to say.... FRESH BAIT

Cheers, Slinky