Knots, Doubles, And Braid Questions

TobyW

HI All,

I’m Fairly new to this and on a bit of a learning curve so forgive me if this is a stupid question/s..

When the wind picks up I find it a good opportunity to Get the tackle out and reorganize/ tie some rigs in prep. :beersmile:

My questions are:

What are the advantages of tying doubles on your rig apart from added strength? When should they be used?

How long should the ”double/Loop” be?

How long should the leader be on the end the double be? And what is a recommended knot to use to attach?

Where should a swivel be if needed and knot type?

Braid:

Are there certain knots that are better for braid/ or not be used?

At the moment I am mainly trying to target Kings around Harbour, I have 2 x Rigs One with 30pd Braid and one with 15pd Mono. I am using 80pd trace.

I’m Plaiting the double at the moment as I have just learned this.. I understand a Bimini is quicker but is that the only advantage?? (I prefer to start with harder knot and work my way back for some stupid reason!)

Whilst I have been using fairly simple rigs of late with success (Swivel and leader), this is more an exercise to try and further my knowledge for later down the track when I may need up the anti down the business end of the rig..

Oh, and my Final question: Why is it impossible to go to a tackle store and only buy what you went there for???? My last trip for some sinkers cost me $$160 !!!!!

OK, enough questions, bring on your wealth of knowledge raiders

Thanks Heaps

Toby

Advantage of doubles:

- decrease the likelihood of being done over when the fish is at the side of the boat due to line breaking

- enable the use of certain superior knots

When should doubles be used:

- they're really only necessary when chasing gamefish or barra - big hard fighting fish that can go utterly beserk next to the boat (I suppose kingies are probably up there too), but due to the knot options they provide many people (like me) tie them on every rig.

How long should the ”double/Loop” be:

- When using the double for added strength, as long as you can tie it - at least as long as the rod. When using the double only to enable certain knots then it doesn't matter how long you tie it.

How long should the leader be on the end the double be?

- Depends on the target species, but for kingies I'd want a minimum of 2 metres

Recommended knot?

- Albright, double uni or there's an even better one that I use whose name I've forgotten - I'm sure someone else here will remember.

- tied to the end of the leader. Ordinary knot since you'll be tying it to mono.

- Yup. You need to buy a book of knots to really understand (Geoff Wilson's is good) but the rule of thumb is that braid requires double the number of twists as mono.

Hey Tobyb

My questions are:

What are the advantages of tying doubles on your rig apart from added strength?

Lets you attach a swivel with a catspaw knot

Lets you have better control of the fish near the boat

When you run the sinker swivel down to the terminal swivel you have double strength ( ie sinker swivel will do some damage to the main line thus better to double up )

Lets you pre rig your rods and if you bump the rod tip against something the line is much stronger

When should they be used?

Trolling

Sinker Knot

Cut baiting

Spoons Poppers Jigs any time you feel the knot will not hold up as it should.

It's like fishing insurance

How long should the ”double/Loop” be?

6 inches to 2m depends on the circumstance

How long should the leader be on the end the double be?

50cm to 2 m again depending on many factors

And what is a recommended knot to use to attach?

To a swivel - catspaw

To mono - allbright or uni

At the end of the double - catspaw

Braid:

Yes

Learn the Bimini it is a fantastic knot.

Oh, and my Final question: Why is it impossible to go to a tackle store and only buy what you went there for???? My last trip for some sinkers cost me $$160 !!!!!

Don't worry go there to buy nothing and still spend heaps -

cheers

inhlanzi