Syd Harbour Report

fishmaniac

G'Day fellow raiders,

just a harbour updte from my last three outings over last week... Sat morn we fished exclusively for calamari in middle harbour.. managed 15 (these are pictured) in about 2 and a half hours. off the water by 9:30am so a good morning session

post-6215-1200735299_thumb.jpg

Wed.. again for calamari to start off with.. a bit slower that day only 9 in the 2 and a half hours, then we moved to the main harbour and used guts to go for kingies... got smoked on the 30lb braid twice and lost a fish at boatside :1badmood:

This morn headed out.. braved the shocking conditions in an open tinnie to hopefully come up trumps... got the calamari.. pulled up to the same spot as on wed... nothing but pickers, so changed tactics and scored 14 quality six spine leatherjackets... no kingies unfortunately.. i'm new to the kingie arena but hopefully with time i'll start gettin stuck into them

the fishmaniac

Raiders,

in regard to jigs i use. I buy a five pack of yo-zuri's, 5 for $30 bucks... i would tell where i get them from if admin on the website say its sweet, don't wanna breach any site rules coz i have only found them at one tackle shop in syd.. Here's a big hint fellas... shallow weed-beds doesn't always = lots of calamari... think deeper

fishmaniac

quote fishmaniac

shallow weed-beds doesn't always = lots of calamari... think deeper

......................................................................................................................................................

Very true fishmaniac! That sure is good advice for the members. :thumbup:

Seems southerlys bring squid on AND in close! While northerlys and warmer currents in particular have squid and particularly moreso the larger varieties going down into deeper water.

Have you or any others found that to be the case?

Perhaps the shutdown of other species in close encourages squid to feel fancy free and safe from predators in the shallows ay?, and maybe going deep within structure allows squid to ambush baitfish and then run for cover and when conditions are right for predators in both the shallows and deep water, it seems no waters are safe for squid and even when conditions are unfavourable and fish can only be found at intermediate depths, there are always squid to be found down deep in the proximity. Would that be so also?

Some food for thought and comment.

Cheers and well done fishmaniac on the good squid catch and you'll get your fair share of kingfish on your squid strips around the harbour markers for starters and pretty soon that's for sure. I say squid strips only to preserve your bait supply but bigger whole squid bait allows the biggest and strongest kingfish to bully the littlies away and when you catch one decent sized kingfish you'll get similiar sizesd followers and you'll have many others in the boat, especially when you burley minced squid (from the same supply) at them to hold them there.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: