Rancid King

daleyboy

Gday raiders,

Went out yesterday arvo with skunga who managed to boat a nice fat 65cm kingy.

Forgot to clean it at the boat ramp (typical) so when i get home into the sink she goes .. but as soon as i cut open the guts ... MY GOD ... it had the worst smell ive ever come across.

Couldnt find anything noticdeable in its guts that would cause that smell, possibly what looked like 1 or two cooked prawns .. but it was also full of a milky like substance.

I feel terrible but i just had to throw the fish in the bin .. no possible way i could stomach it after smelling it that bad .. and i wasnt alone .. skunga also declined.

anyone ever had this problem with fish .. anyone know what it might have been?

the fish iteself seemed healthy and also fought like a demon

Gday raiders,

Went out yesterday arvo with skunga who managed to boat a nice fat 65cm kingy.

Forgot to clean it at the boat ramp (typical) so when i get home into the sink she goes .. but as soon as i cut open the guts ... MY GOD ... it had the worst smell ive ever come across.

Couldnt find anything noticdeable in its guts that would cause that smell, possibly what looked like 1 or two cooked prawns .. but it was also full of a milky like substance.

I feel terrible but i just had to throw the fish in the bin .. no possible way i could stomach it after smelling it that bad .. and i wasnt alone .. skunga also declined.

anyone ever had this problem with fish .. anyone know what it might have been?

the fish iteself seemed healthy and also fought like a demon

strange mate nah ive never had that happen before, did it only smell once gutted, how long was it out of water, how do you keep fish fresh on your boat?

yea only once it was gutted .. before that was fine.

fish was in the boat for about 2-3hrs .. was in a small esky (only just fit in) with a frozen 2L bottle of salt water for cooling .. never had a prob with fish stored that way before

Hey Penguin, ur legendary peeled prawns are not to blame; the affliction is called Myoliquefaction literal translation "milky flesh" and is caused by a protozoan parasite very common to seriola species in sub tropical to tropical climates. First case I've heard of it this south. No doubt Old Mate has travelled quite some distance, possibly from QLD. It doesn't affect the well being of the fish, the good news from your capture is warm EAC is here & a host of other warm water predators are very nearby! If you're up to it, the stinky head is a gun lobster bait - they go nuts over it.

Oops, meant 'Hey Daleyboy', saw prawns mentioned and just figured :1prop:

Edited by Jigholio

Hey Penguin, ....... the affliction is called Myoliquefaction literal translation "milky flesh" and is caused by a protozoan parasite.......... the good news from your capture is warm EAC is here & a host of other warm water predators are very nearby!

There's some top information there Jigholio :thumbup: And it's great to remind the members about the excellent position of the currents this year.

That fact in itself will stimulate the boys into seeking more of the action from now on that's for sure.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Cheers for the info Jigholio ... now that i recall i thought the flesh looked a bit milky when i filleted 1 side, but i wasnt sure if it was just me nose influencing other parts of the brain to convince me not to eat it lol

Any idea if they are still edible (still wouldnt be able to eat it meself thou)?

And no lobster fishing done here unfortunately .. do send out the occasional witches hat for blue swimmers, but got more than enuf bait for them already without stinking up the ol chest freezer.