What Size Reel

Lasty

I have been given a 6' 2-4kg spin rod and was wondering what size reel would be best suited to it.

It will probably use 6lb mono and use it with for SP and was wondering whether I should get either a 1000 or 2000/2500 series reel?

I have been given a 6' 2-4kg spin rod and was wondering what size reel would be best suited to it.

It will probably use 6lb mono and use it with for SP and was wondering whether I should get either a 1000 or 2000/2500 series reel?

G'day Lasty,

I prefer a 2500 size reel for most of my fishing on my 2-4kg spin sticks.... the 1000 is really tiny and I seem to get better casting distance with the 2500.. I think it may be something to do with the larger spool diameter but I'm no engineer. I's strongly advise braid if you're planning to use it mostly for soft plastic spinning... much better casting distance, infinitely better feel. I use Platypus Super Braid, but any of the better quality braids are great (don't get el-cheapo braid... it's rough as guts and not fun to use).

If cost is an issue either just top-shot your reel with braid or get a thermally fused braid (like Fireline). These are not quite as fine in diameter and are a little stiffer but still good quality and the handling characteristics of them are preferred by a lot of people on spin reels.

Cheers, Slinky