Prawning And Squidding

postie708

Hi, Im new to this site and to the internet in general. I am interested in Prawning at Windang and Squidding probably in Sydney Harbour. I am seeking help as to what time of year is best to go prawning. I also need to know how do you keep the battery needed for the light near you as I would like to try scoop netting in waders. I would also like to know how do you take the squid off the hook and use them for a live bait.Are there any dangers in handling live squid that I should watch out for? Appreciate any advice given.

Thanks Postie708

Hi, Im new to this site and to the internet in general. I am interested in Prawning at Windang and Squidding probably in Sydney Harbour. I am seeking help as to what time of year is best to go prawning. I also need to know how do you keep the battery needed for the light near you as I would like to try scoop netting in waders. I would also like to know how do you take the squid off the hook and use them for a live bait.Are there any dangers in handling live squid that I should watch out for? Appreciate any advice given.

Thanks Postie708

:1welcomeani: Welcome to the forum....

This is the right time of the year for prawning and Windang is a good spot for them.

If you are using a car battery, you can float it on a piece of polystyrene foam, car tube (with base), kneeboard, etc - just make sure you secure the battery well. Some of the knee boards come with leg ropes that you can use to tow it around and you can pick them up pretty cheap.

Squidding is a different story, and there are plenty of them on the forum. Try doing a search as there are lots of them and you will pick up tips on techniques as well as spots and jigs to use. You will also find pictures of squid on a 2 hook rig in here as well.

Just watch out that you don't get squirted with water or ink from the squid - especially the ink. They are pretty harmless, but keep your fingers away from there beak, especially if you catch a cuttlefish.

Cheers

Greg

Edited by Thunder

Thanks for the replies and advice I will be giving this a go as soon as possible.

I look forward to visiting this site more often.

Cheers Les

Thanks for the replies and advice I will be giving this a go as soon as possible.

I look forward to visiting this site more often.

Cheers Les

For around $25 the tackle shops have a waterproof 12v halogen downlight on a handle (prawn light) and it is around 1m long with wiring and alligator clips ready to go.

Where in the lake were you getting the prawns?

Was it near the bridge or further into the lake or around the channel out to sea?

How big were the prawns?

Cheers

Greg