Gps Chartplotters

oldsalty

Hey all,

I am looking at purchaseing an entry level GPS chart plotter for my boat and have no idea where to start looking. It will mainly be used for fishing sydney harbour, inshore reefs and trips to the fads etc....I dont need anything too flash and it will be going on a tabs territory pro 485 which has a furuno fcv-620 sounder on it.

Any info will be appreciated :biggrin2:

oldsalty

Hey all,

I am looking at purchasing an entry level GPS chart plotter for my boat and have no idea where to start looking. It will mainly be used for fishing sydney harbour, inshore reefs and trips to the fads etc....I dont need anything too flash and it will be going on a tabs territory pro 485 which has a furuno fcv-620 sounder on it.

Any info will be appreciated :biggrin2:

oldsalty

i have a navman 5000 series chart plotter ,pretty much a base model unit ,i am very happy with it no dramas you would have to check if the current model are waterproof as mine is splash proof and has been exchanged (under warranty)when i took a good one over the top.Just had a look the current models are waterproof and whitworths have them for $369 for the 5430/i thats the black and white version and $549 for a colour version and you would have to add the cost off the electronic chart to that

a mate off mine has a new hummingbird model that is very impressive although i would not call that a entry level model can find out if interested but he told me he had to sell off one of the kids for it

cheers arman

for inshore work i reckon all is needed is a good hand held,

we use one almost always and it never misses a beat,

the handhelds come with a bracket to sit in so ur able to follow the GPS and still sound out the area with the sounder

cheap alternative to purchasing a all in 1 and works just the same if not better,,

cheers steve