Fishing The Rocks, Which Setup?

my03

hey guys, thinking about getting a new setup for the rocks, will be spinning poppers, jigs, and plastics, and hb and livebaiting for kings, and all the other pelagics.

was thinking about pen spinfisher 950ss, do you think this is a good reel?

what kind of rod should i go for?

- a lbg style 8ft 15-25kg?

- a surf 10-12ft 8-15kg?

- a surft 10-12ft 15-24kg?

or do you have any other suggestions, will probably be fishing 5070lb typical kingy, gt rock outfit. what line class do you think i should go and should i a lo stretch mono, or braid for the rocks?

what you guys think?

Edited by my03

hey guys, thinking about getting a new setup for the rocks, will be spinning poppers, jigs, and plastics, and hb and livebaiting for kings, and all the other pelagics.

was thinking about pen spinfisher 950ss, do you think this is a good reel?

what kind of rod should i go for?

- a lbg style 8ft 15-25kg?

- a surf 10-12ft 8-15kg?

- a surft 10-12ft 15-24kg?

or do you have any other suggestions, will probably be fishing 5070lb typical kingy, gt rock outfit. what line class do you think i should go and should i a lo stretch mono, or braid for the rocks?

what you guys think?

Braid on the rocks sucks,

the rest is up to you and how much you want to spend and how heavy you like to fish.

Just my $0.02

Edited by VA911

You might find the penn 950 too heavy to be spinning with for long. I use an 850 and its a little lighter and works well mated with 30lb braid. I stick with the shorter rods about 8ft to no more than 10. If its too long it works against you when fighting the fish off the rocks in close. The other thing, is you will need to work out the weight of the lures you will be using and make sure the rod can cast it. No point going 10-12 ft surf rod with 24kg mono and then try and cast out x-raps as the distance will be impeded. I like using braid as you can get better capacity, feel of the lure and casts better than mono in the higher breaking strains. Then you run a mono leader for the first couple of metres.

If you are looking for a decent popper outfit, check out the shimano gt rod, t- curves, or the daiwa monster mesh. As for other reels for spinning, spheros (but probably not the 14000), opus bull will do the job well. These are largish reels. But the rods mentioned will cast weights up to 200 grams which is a hefty lure.

(just noticed in the 4 sale forum a shimano long cast..that will do the job easily too)

Edited by caranx

thanks for the replies guys, does the 850 and 950 have the same ratios and drag?

can the spinfisher be used for jigging as well? i guess another option would be the speros but they seem more expensive than the spinfisher. are there any other similar reels that are in that price range? are the spinfisher's ratios high enough for popper work and jigging?

besides rods like stalo stix shorespin, are there any other heavier longer spinning rods for lure work?

thanks

4.6 -1 , 4.2 - are the penn ratios ,and something similar for the spheros. They definitely can be used for jigging and regularly get a flogging on the west coast and north for samson fish etc. If you are using cup faced poppers the ratio is ok, but a bit slow for pencil poppers. You might be better off getting a twinpower 8000 from overseas instead as it will have a better ratio and drag. Jigging is better with the lower ratios , and poppering with the higher ones, so it will be a compromise and depends on what you will be doing more of.

Plenty of rods out there, depends how much you want to spend, or go a custom made. Have a look at the Penn Spinfisher big game (10ft) .