Friday 25th Adelaide

achjimmy

Sorry for the late report.

We planned an assault on the snapper grounds 25k into the Gulf, these have been providing 10+ reds between 8-12kg on the right days, and unfortunately this wasn’t one.

Left at 5am in the boss and his son’s new 5.4 trailcraft (great boat) with our Local manager Marty and successively tried all Marty’s marks, a few bites but all too small and we saw one Great white that went 3m (baby for Adelaide!!!) Rob hooked one keeper just over legal.

post-4477-1201895833_thumb.jpg

Our original plan was to try till 10 and then pull up stumps and head inshore for Blue swimmers. We persisted to 10.30-11 but still no luck. Moved back to about 1-2 ks off semaphore and set up for crabs.

In Adelaide they use a lift up pot not the witch’s hats, they are much easier to get the crabs out. We tied off 5 pots to the boat, opened a beer then went and pulled the 1st pot back up voila 2 crabs in that, so we new they were on. After that it was a production line hauling crabs in, only down side to there pots is you can’t muck around pulling them up or the crabs can swim out so it can get quite tiring. Tide change and they went off the tooth for ½ hour or so and the ropes all tangled up but once we swung around they came on again. Photo below is the 135 litre esky on its way to being ½to 3/4 full. Final estimate was about 90-100 crab. Bailed at about 2pm as I had a 5pm flight, grabbed a shower and the team kindly packed my Pelican flight case for the trip home and by midnight all my share of the crabs were backed and either frozen or in the fridge awaiting Saturdays Chili Crab feast.

If you get the chance to go to Adelaide in January when the crabs are on it is an experience to see them in such numbers. Shame about the snapper though………next time.

Big thanks to Greg, Rob and Marty for the boat, time and company.

post-4477-1201895903_thumb.jpg

post-4477-1201895919_thumb.jpg

Awesome feed of blue swimmer's there mate,very nice! :beersmile:

My mate's just got back from fishing 8 days in the gulf down at south australia,they got just over 100 red's

between 2kg & 12kg,with all fish caught in the last two hour's of the runout tide & floating down really big

baits like huge 500gram squid heads or whole large fillets of slimeys.

It didnt matter what time of day they were fishin,if there was no run in the water,there were no fish.

I no where im fishin next january,

Might see you there!

cheers mate

steve

Edited by nexus

Awesome feed of blue swimmer's there mate,very nice! :beersmile:

My mate's just got back from fishing 8 days in the gulf down at south australia,they got just over 100 red's

between 2kg & 12kg,with all fish caught in the last two hour's of the runout tide & floating down really big

baits like huge 500gram squid heads or whole large fillets of slimeys.

It didnt matter what time of day they were fishin,if there was no run in the water,there were no fish.

I no where im fishin next january,

Might see you there!

cheers mate

steve

Yeah I will be going back before but plan on taking the family next xmas/Jan