Fish Finder

dunga

I am in the market to buy a fish finder for my small tinny. I only want to spend around the $300 mark and am just wondering if you guys have any comments on what to look for, look out for, or recommendations. I was hoping to get one with speed and temp sensors, but may be dreaming at that price.

Shane

• 5 years later...

Checkout online shop and other discount sites first you may come across a unwanted gift or a bargain. do your research on the net first then ask as many questions as you can including does it work?. the other alternative is a hummingbird as they have entry level models but be aware they may not have all the features you require. make sure whatever you buy it has all the cable and brackets you need to mount it. Some models seem cheap but by the time you buy the (optional extras) i.e brackets etc you have might as well purchased a better model. Buy what you can afford, but consider how long you will have it and what you want it to do, there is no point buying a model that is only a glorified depth gauge

good luck

Feral Fish

Edited by Feral Fish

Hi, in that price range it is pretty hard to go past the Humminbird Matrix 12. It offers a large screen with good pixel count and good power plus the added benefit to add a GPS aerial later to get speed and ability to store waypoint and locate waypoints. Not many unit nowdays offer speed via a pddle wheel and none in that price range. The Matrix does come with temp.

PM me if you would like the Raider price.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi

I have a Lowrance x67c installed, I enjoy the Colours, the 320V vertical Pixels of the unit and the other features.

It's also around your price range.

There are Eagles Models that basically are the same guess called EasyCatch350 or similar.

But I strongly suggest Color !!! And dont forget to buy the book on how to interpret your sounder!

Was in the same situation myself not too long ago, ended up with the Matrix 12. Great display, it sometimes loses the bottom at speed but this may be down to mounting and/or crud in the water. I could have mounted it a bit lower.

One bad thing the Matrix 12 sounders do is give off a big rooster tail, due to their design. The fix is very easy though, wrap some electrical tape around the fork that goes between the boat and the transducer. Looks neat, hides the mounting screws a bit and no rooster tail. I believe you can also contact BLA and get a plastic piece that snaps in there but electrical tape is easier.

Hi, in that price range it is pretty hard to go past the Humminbird Matrix 12. It offers a large screen with good pixel count and good power plus the added benefit to add a GPS aerial later to get speed and ability to store waypoint and locate waypoints. Not many unit nowdays offer speed via a pddle wheel and none in that price range. The Matrix does come with temp.

PM me if you would like the Raider price.

Cheers,

Huey.

for the dollars you are looking at spending, stick with the hummingbird brand. easy to buy parts for which can often be difficult on some other brands. honestly, they all essentially do the same thing. it just depends on whether you want to pay for a colour screen, bells and whistles etc or have a functional unit that does what you need without fancy gadgets that, while they may look great in the shop, you will possibly never use them. only my opinion but ultimately that choice rests with you.. so for mine buy the best basic model which would have all the bits you need and forget the ritz that might impress your mates but you have to live with it when they are not around.

only my two cents worth. good luck with the search and remember, set a budget and stick with it so you dont rue your decision later on.

cheers

for the dollars you are looking at spending, stick with the hummingbird brand. easy to buy parts for which can often be difficult on some other brands. honestly, they all essentially do the same thing. it just depends on whether you want to pay for a colour screen, bells and whistles etc or have a functional unit that does what you need without fancy gadgets that, while they may look great in the shop, you will possibly never use them. only my opinion but ultimately that choice rests with you.. so for mine buy the best basic model which would have all the bits you need and forget the ritz that might impress your mates but you have to live with it when they are not around.

only my two cents worth. good luck with the search and remember, set a budget and stick with it so you dont rue your decision later on.

cheers

+1 the Hummingbirds are good to use and i think offer best value in that price range.