Floorboards - Alternative To Marine-ply?

Holmesie

Hi guys/gals,

I have to replace the two rear floorboards in my Quintrex Sea Raider - they have marine carpet glued to them (which I have successfully removed and saved).

The floorboards have rotted because the previous owner screwed the rear boxes/seats into the floor without sealing the holes, therefore allowing water to get inside the marine ply and causing the rot (from what I can work out anyway).

Am I just best off replacing it with marine ply again, or should I be looking for a PVC/poly sheet product to do the job? Each board is roughly 1000x1000mm and 12mm thick. The rear boxes/seats will still need to be attached to each floorboard, and the carpet re-glued.

Any suggestions or experience would be appreciated.

Cheers

Holmesie

Hi guys/gals,

I have to replace the two rear floorboards in my Quintrex Sea Raider - they have marine carpet glued to them (which I have successfully removed and saved).

The floorboards have rotted because the previous owner screwed the rear boxes/seats into the floor without sealing the holes, therefore allowing water to get inside the marine ply and causing the rot (from what I can work out anyway).

Am I just best off replacing it with marine ply again, or should I be looking for a PVC/poly sheet product to do the job? Each board is roughly 1000x1000mm and 12mm thick. The rear boxes/seats will still need to be attached to each floorboard, and the carpet re-glued.

Any suggestions or experience would be appreciated.

Cheers

Holmesie

Later Quinnies dont even use Marine ply. So i would say if you got marine ply after cutting and drilling you totally sealed the timber before carpet you wont have a problem for donkey's years.

My 2c worth

The Qintex definatly use structual ply not marine ply. I have the same issue and am thinking of replacing with allycore. Just need to find out where to get it from.

Would be interested (especially about the multipanel) in any suggestions from other forum users

Cheers

I have checked the other (forward) floorboards and they appear to be structural ply, and not marine ply like the two rear boards - perhaps they've been replaced before, although I can;t see any indication of additional screw holes in the aluminium supports underneath.

Dtox, what is allycore, and is it cost effective?

Cheers

allycore is aluminium sheeting (2 this sheets of aluminium with a honeycombed centre to give it strength) to make it lighter. Apparently you can use it like ply wood. It is expensive so I've been trying to track down the wholesaler or manufacturer.

The late model Qintrex boats offer it as an option.

Cheers

Sounds interesting, thanks.

I've was trying to track down some PVC/poly sheets, but didn't have much luck - and since I'm out in the NSW sticks and not near any major suppliers of stuff, I might just put in some new marine ply and be done with it :wacko:

Mate, I put a full floor in my 4.6 tiller steer about 2 years ago. I used DD grade construction ply ( about half the price of marine grade) and sealed it after cutting with a marine grade 2 pack timber sealant - available from fibreglass suppliers. The boat is left outside at all times ( no cover) and the timber is still like brand new. Do yourself a favour and don't go to the expense of marine grade ply - no advantages. The only difference between the two is the outer veneer - marine is nicer grained but the glue used in the manufacture is the same. In saying that, neither is totally waterproof and both would have to be sealed to prevent rot/ mould etc. If you want to know the brand of sealant I use just pm me and I'll pass on the brand and supplier etc. Costs about $80 for 2 litres but well worth the money and easy to use.

Cheers

Russ

Hi.

Quinnies use Corrugated cardboard for flooring. Mine's a 2002 Bowrider. Replacing last section as i speak. It's absolute rubbish.

Last time I went out. Walking to front of boat. Went right through floor. Only the carpet protected my ankle.

I'm using 1/2 in Form Ply. marine carpet and glue. and I'd recommend EVERYBODY with a Quinnie, or a Stacer, to check their flooring.

It really is corrugated cardboard. and carpet makes it worse by holding water in it.

Rest of boat fine.

Regards

Macka17

Got it sorted thanks to those who offered suggestions and PM's info - much appreciated :)

I've gone with simple construction ply (mainly because that's about all I could get locally), but sealed the timber before gluing the carpet on. I have yet to mount the rear box/seats but will be using silastic or something under the screw heads to ensure water cannot leak from the box down thru the timber floorboard along the screw (as happened previously).

To look at the re-carpeted floorboards (I was able to save the old carpet), you'd be hard pressed to see they'd been replaced so I'm happy with the outcome so far.

Thanks all,

Holmesie

Manky old rotted boards

IMGP1408Medium.jpg

New boards, with carpet re-glued and in place. Gee in parts it looks cleaner than the carpet on the other boards!!

IMGP1410Medium.jpg

Edited by Holmesie

Those original boards are a disgrace to the manufacturer. Boats arent cheap , and they use cardboard? Shameful.

Ross

Sorry Ross.

Not really cardboard. But. the quality of. Absolute rubbish.

I've done mates boat too. I have Stacer. BowRider 5.25. 2002. he has same, 2004. His going same as mine.

He has E'Tec 90. I have Opti 90. Glad I got the opti.

Macka17