Safe Disposal Of Flares

plankton

Hi guys,

here is some information that will assist you to be more responsible regarding safe disposal of flares.

There is apparently a bit of a dispute going on between the police and Maritime Services regarding the safe disposal of flares. Both have some responsibility for disposing of them but neither really want to.

The police ultimately have responsibility. We have been informed that the most effective way to get them dealt with is to call the police and say something along the lines of “I have an explosive implement that I’d like to dispose of safely.” That way they have to deal with it.

Regards

Plankton

Hi guys,

here is some information that will assist you to be more responsible regarding safe disposal of flares.

There is apparently a bit of a dispute going on between the police and Maritime Services regarding the safe disposal of flares. Both have some responsibility for disposing of them but neither really want to.

The police ultimately have responsibility. We have been informed that the most effective way to get them dealt with is to call the police and say something along the lines of “I have an explosive implement that I’d like to dispose of safely.” That way they have to deal with it.

Regards

Plankton

Have given my out a date flares to the Sea Rescue organisations. They use them on training ops.

NSW fire brigades have told me in the past that it is now a police problem as well - police then called their hazmat fire brigade boys to collect and dispose as they had no suitable storage or transport- then invoice the NSW police - what a joke - there is probably a seperate police hazmat now called the bomb squad.. Police have to fill out paperwork of where they came from same as they do for ammunition, firecrackers or unexploded munitions as they treat flares the same.

We keep the older pack until the newer pack expires on the boat as that gives us a set of backup flares stored seperately God knows what the insurers would say if these expired ones started a fire on board but we keep and eye on their condition.

The other option is that many of the sailing clubs have a annual "flare night" where you are able to learn to use them and then set them off. It is good to know in case you ever hav eto do it. Will put a note up here next time I see one of the clubs having such a night. Middle harbour Yacht club does it every year I think much to the delight or fear of Contarf residents and the Coastal patrol used to do it on collaroy or Mona Vale beach.

Warning there is big fines and problems with letting them off when not at an organised function and with new rules and the police dealing with them there is fines / charges for misuse etc etc let alone the bushfire risk with letting them off over land.

Disposal in rubbish bins and then landfill has caused massive dump fires over the years and is iillegal.

Some of the volunteer orgs have stopped accepting them due to lease conditions about storing flamable or explosive material and also now have to buy and use in date flares at training due to insurance and OH&S rules.

Was soooooo..... much easier when you could just take em to the soccer and let them off like everyone else did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last option when the local boys in blue say "not their problem" is just gaffer tape them to you stomach and walk in to the station. They'll soon take them off you and you get a free board and breakfast for a while.

The flare manufactures should take them back but several years ago one said they would but it was a large fee per flare!!!! Was a condition of sale originally but who has time to drop them off in business hours after making an appointment and you cant mail or courier them.

Would be good to hear if anyone has recently had any success in dropping at police or if any orgs still use them for training as I have a pack I need to dispose of soon as well.

Edited by pelican

Pelican - Interesting you say that expired flares can cause fires... I didn't know this and really should take the 5 or so I have in my boat out I guess. I have only just returned from Manly Wharf and seen this... the owner wasn't happy at all either. Apparently it started while nobody was on board :05:

post-3217-1203916651_thumb.jpg

Those deltacraft were never a good fishing platform and far to affected by windage. This bloke has solved all those problems. Very odd to have a fire on a diesel with no one on it and motor not running!!!! Would have to be electrical you would think or vandalism.

Shame as it actually looks like ist was a well maintained one not one f the usual delta mooring minder floating reefs you see. Just checking to make sure it is not a mates- he'll be spewing as he just had loads spent on the motor

Not sure why, but soccer games :soccer_h4h: seem to be a rather popular venue to "dispose" of them :1Lighten:. I don't know that you would class it as a "safe disposal", and I imagine it could become rather pricey as well :busted_cop: .

Edited by g.t.