Bass And Trout

dean

I had the day off today and was keen to get a fish in regardless of the weather reports.

With the predicted rain and storms i was hopping to hit the Bass early and then head up into the mountains and try for some Trout.

Left the yak at home and hit the river on foot. I fished a short, shallow section of river with a few rapids and some deeper pools. The Koolabung fizzer proved itself once again, accounting for most of the fish. Once the action slowed on the surface i switched to soft plastic and landed a few more. Two fish measured 38cm with the rest around 25cm.

post-6684-1204195623_thumb.jpg

After lunch i headed for the mountains. It's been about 5 months since my last trout session, after reading some of the other reports i was keen to get amongst them myself. The river looked to be in reasonable condition as i pulled up and It was cool, overcast with not a breath of wind.

I was testing a new lure out today and with a follow after my second cast things were really looking good. Over the next 30min nothing, no follow, no bump, i didn't even spook a fish(which is very unusual for me), i was starting to think i should have stayed in Sydney. But all that was about to change. In the very next pool i had a reasonable brown charge out from the shallows and attack the lure, he missed and then quickly lost interest. Still no fish but my confidence was lifted. A couple of minutes later another brown shoots out and smashes the lure, after a short fight a lovely brown is landed.

post-6684-1204195869_thumb.jpg

After that the action didn't stop, i landed a fish or had a follow in the next five pools, all browns. I ended up with seven fish between 20cm-42cm

post-6684-1204195654_thumb.jpg

The funny thing is I've only ever caught rainbows in this river before, and i didn't even see one this trip.

Cheers,

Dean

It's a Zipbait Rigge Deep, i originally bought it for bream. Looks like it's going to be a better trout lure.

Bream Mad, i was fishing up near Oberon. I was in the mountains today on a 4wd trip. We had lunch on the Fish river, couldn't help myself and packed the rods. Managed a quick 20min session, dropped one fish and had a few more follows. The river looked in top condition, there were plenty of fish rising in some of the deeper pools.

Dean

It's a Zipbait Rigge Deep, i originally bought it for bream. Looks like it's going to be a better trout lure.

Bream Mad, i was fishing up near Oberon. I was in the mountains today on a 4wd trip. We had lunch on the Fish river, couldn't help myself and packed the rods. Managed a quick 20min session, dropped one fish and had a few more follows. The river looked in top condition, there were plenty of fish rising in some of the deeper pools.

Dean

i have a rigge shallow in brown trout colours that would be awesome

good work again