Botany Bay Fad - No Dollies 06/03/08

waterrat

Left Botany Bay heads at sunrise today destination F.A.D. Sea wasn't too bad about 1 metre to 1.5m. Managed a constant speed of about 18knots without getting tossed around too much. Spotted a large pod of dolphins which swam right under our boat. Arrived at the FAD about 7.20am, one other boat already there with one guy flicking pillies but didn't appear to be having much luck. Trolled past FAD numerous times but no action. Didn't havre any live bait so just used pilchards and plastics. Kept at it for an hour & a half hoping the dollies might make an appearance. Not sure if the water temp was a bit cool or if the season is just about over. Anyway decided to troll back to the bay. Had out one skirt and a Rapala Cd-11 trolling at about 6-7knots. Suddenly about 3 miles out my mates red & white Rapala got hit hard! Line was screaming off the reel at a great rate of knots, must have taken about 100 metres or so then twang! it was all over. Lost the lure, however the line & knot were intact but the wire trace broke or was bitten through?? Anyway arrived back at the ramp empty handed but what a glorious day on the water.

You mention trolling around the FAD. and that another boat was already there.

I went out to a different FAD a couple of weeks ago. I was the first there - I've got a 45 foot old timber yacht. We stopped about 50 metres away from the FAD and drifted towards it. The dollies were certainly there and eager to take the unweighted pillies. Another boat arrived and also drifted. We waved to each other, watching the other catching fish.

Soon after two other boats arrived. Instead of stopping and drifting, they trolled lures at a ridiculous speed between the two drifting boats and the FAD. They caught nothing. They made several fast passes, again between the two drifting boats and the FAD, before heading off to who knows where.

After they left, neither we not the other boat caught any fish.

Maybe we can guess why you caught no fish. Not speaking to you in particular, (I would never criticise a FishRaider) but any others who might wonder they aren't catching anything at the FAD, why not slow right down before you get to the FAD, see what others are doing, show some consideration and enjoy the great fishing.

You would have had a quick trip, getting to the FAD at 18 knots. We manage 6 knows, which means leaving our bay at 3.00am. fishing for maybe an hour and then another three-and-a-half hours to get back. Time at the FAD is precious. We're happy if the breeze comes up a bit while we are at the FAD. That means we can enjoy a sail back.

Hey Boofhead,

You're right there, fishing beats work any day of the week, even if you do come home empty handed. Mate went out in a 5m Seafarer Viva, the FAD off Botany Bay is about 9.5km's off the heads. You can get all the FAD locations from the NSW Department of Primary Indiustries site.

Cheers..waterat

about 3 miles out my mates red & white Rapala got hit hard! Line was screaming off the reel at a great rate of knots, must have taken about 100 metres or so then twang! it was all over. Lost the lure, however the line & knot were intact but the wire trace broke or was bitten through?? Anyway arrived back at the ramp empty handed but what a glorious day on the water.

You’re right about a glorious day on the water Waterrat. We were out today and were thinking about heading to the FAD, but decided to stay around Bate Bay. It seems like we made the right choice if there was nothing out there.

I’d love to know what bit through that wire trace. It must have been a sharp toothed critter alright. Below is a photo of a 200lb trace that was “mangled” up in South West Rocks in January. Whatever it was took only a matter of seconds to chew through it. I would have liked to have at least seen it. It’s frustrating alright. :mad3:

post-4381-1204801595_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Peter

The guy already there wasn't getting any fish either. So we did a few slow trolls past the FAD well clear of his boat while he drifted off the FAD. When we got no hits on the troll we also drifted & tried Pillies to no avail. We both ended up leaving empty handed at similar times. We made no fast passes at ridiculous speeds so theres really no need to guess why we caught no fish, they just weren't around at that time. I've been out there quite a few times and when they're on, they're on & when they're not, they're not.

Hi Waterrat

Another possible reason for both boats missing out was maybe you were there too late - the fish had cleared off. I like to get there just on first light. I've noticed they tend to go off the bite an hour after sunrise. That gives you about an hour, maybe two. Best of luck next time.

I'm curious about the picture on your avatar. Looks like an interesting sailing boat. Is it your's? Mine was built in Tassie in 1936.

Peter - Kintail

Hey Pete,

The boat pictured in the avatar belongs to my father-in-law. Its an original 52ft timber pearling lugger built in Cairns Shipyard in 1952. Was a working boat in Broome and later owned by the Mabo family.The boat has been restored and is now moored in Port Hinchinbrook North Queensland. She's a great old boat for cruising & fishing the Great Barrier Reef.

..Chris

@waterat

Hey Boofhead,

You're right there, fishing beats work any day of the week, even if you do come home empty handed. Mate went out in a 5m Seafarer Viva, the FAD off Botany Bay is about 9.5km's off the heads. You can get all the FAD locations from the NSW Department of Primary Indiustries site.

Cheers..waterat

Cheers mate

PS - that pearling lugger look great.

Hi,

just to let you know, that we've been going on a charted n getting dollies down at fish traps in Kiama, with slimies.

they're bit shy, some are undersize n release, while some are legal.

did a trip in Feb got about 10.. but last week, we got about 8 n they were slightly bigger..

they grow about 2cm per wk.. the guy saids they're probably gonna b around 4 another month or so..

cheers.