Middle Harbour Wed 19th

Jigholio

After consulting seabreeze dot com, today was shaping up to be picture-perfect. wind, swell & tides all on the money. Launched at 5.30am, straight to the bait grounds and within 15 minutes it looked like a carpark. Why do other boaties deem it necessary to crowd around the first one there? :ranting2: Anyways, tank full of livies, head off to the usual spots - no joy for 2hrs...bummer.

Then I remembered an unlikely location where I spotted a big school of kingis some 6 weeks ago, and made a mental note to revisit. Dropped the pick and sent out one under a float and a squid on a breakaway sinker. nothin' for 2hrs :(. i persisted knowing that behaviourally, kingis do 'happy laps' and would school past this point eventually.

A couple of blokes rocked up to practise with the flyrod. It was a picture perfect day, no wind perfect to wave the long wand. I had a gourmet sandwich in one hand, a cold beer in the other, and was thoroughly entertained by the grace & romanticism of watching this fella mastering his art...life is pretty sweet right about now. Then it happened.

Ratchet howls on rod #1 (squid) simultaneously PE8 hisses thru guides of rod#2 (yakka). Beer & sandwich fly. Must've been a sight for the fly boys! the squids hook never found it's mark and the yakka rod got reefed, pulling the hook in the process. D!ckh34d me didn't tighten the drag on the Jigger :1crybaby: Lesson one: don't fall asleep at the wheel.

Pinned another yakka and it got smashed instantly. No mistake this time. The short wind on didn't fully leave the reel, hand to fin combat the way I likes it. Boated within 30 secs out goes another yakka. history repeats tho this one's got more HP. into the net with another, out goes another yakka double quick.

Well it's right about now that a well known charter skipper in a purple boat shows up, and I'm thinking either this is no secret spot or this guy has antennae. His timing was pretty much perfect. His crew got a few, then my yakka bolted for shelter under the hull. as I directed him to the surface to re-position a green torpedo shoots up vertically attempting to smash it, drenching me with salty spray in the process. If I had the reflexes of a cat I could have tail-grabbed it. The yakka died shortly afterwards, my guess is coronary failure :)

So the count was 2 landed - 66cm & 72cm, 2 dropped and one that didn't quite connect. And a magical day to top it off.

Jig

PS. Rasta74 we ARE going fishing!!

Edited by Jigholio

Well done mate, that sure sounds like a magical day. Although had you not spilt your beer things couldnt have got much better then that.

Thanks Zen, Dan

the beers were leftovers a mate brought on board Monday. So easy come, easy go no loss on my part. Still had two to enjoy after 'teh hektik mayhems'lol.