Good Friday On The Hawkesbury

greg123

hi all, i have'nt posted any repots yet so i thought i would report yesterdays trip, however unfortunate the weather may have been.

Headed out from Apple Tree Bay around 6:30 and drifted Patonga beach for some flatty which we didnt get however we did land a tailor, a medium sized bream and a squid.

Then headed over to Juno point in search for something bigger.

After butchering the squid into some bait strips we put a couple of lines out and cast 2 light rigs towards the shorline and let them drift with the current.

One of the lighter rigs went of fairly quickly and we landed a nice 39cm bream at the same moment an octopus had taken hold of the other rig, a half hour later the same rod went off with something decent but the leader must have snagged on something sharp as i reeled up a piece of shredded line.

All in all a good morning.

As im fairly new to fishing i was wondering if anyone could give me advise on where (around the hawkesbury, pittwater, cowan region) to catch some sort of live bait (squid or anything else), and what would be the most effective methods to do so? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Greg

post-5126-1206186723_thumb.jpg

hi all, i have'nt posted any repots yet so i thought i would report yesterdays trip, however unfortunate the weather may have been.

Headed out from Apple Tree Bay around 6:30 and drifted Patonga beach for some flatty which we didnt get however we did land a tailor, a medium sized bream and a squid.

Then headed over to Juno point in search for something bigger.

After butchering the squid into some bait strips we put a couple of lines out and cast 2 light rigs towards the shorline and let them drift with the current.

One of the lighter rigs went of fairly quickly and we landed a nice 39cm bream at the same moment an octopus had taken hold of the other rig, a half hour later the same rod went off with something decent but the leader must have snagged on something sharp as i reeled up a piece of shredded line.

All in all a good morning.

As im fairly new to fishing i was wondering if anyone could give me advise on where (around the hawkesbury, pittwater, cowan region) to catch some sort of live bait (squid or anything else), and what would be the most effective methods to do so? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

i have been told at westhead near the box that is on the sure berly up for yakka's and at barrenjoey for squid..Good catch by the way I was out there as well .. where about around Juno do you go ? I have tried Juno before with no luck at all.. Should I go close to shore? stay out from shore? and what direction from the point? :1fishing1:

Cheers

Greg

post-5126-1206186723_thumb.jpg

Great bream mate, squid are extremely abundant in cowan, long bay and twilight inlet are great places to target them. They are arrow squid so i wouldn't plan on catching them for a feed. Yakka's can be caught at various places in cowan, waratah bay is a good spot.

Josh

You need to set up a burley trail that is quite consistently flowing, a very fine mash of bread crumbs, tuna oil, old bits of bait and stuff should do the trick, then put some really small bits of pillie or prawn onto a long shank hook about size 10 and you should get a few no worries. Otherwise you can try using bait jigs in amongst the burley trail.

Cheers

Josh