2 Stroke Motor Oils

Josh88

Both the Merc Quicksilver oils and the BRP XD100 and XD50 oils are miles better quality than general oils and it is not just advertising. They have extra additional detergents, stabilizers and additive packages. This means they leave fewer contaminents in the fuel system and also in the combustion chamber ( less carbon, cleaner plugs , better performance, burn cleaner with less residue) also leading to less smoke as they are synthetic or semi-synthetic. The full synthetic oils have a many fold better lubrication capacity within certain operating temperature ranges which should protect bearings and components better. Never use aircooled 2 stroke oil in a outboard and vice versa.

From my enquiries the oils mentioned above far exceed the standards tcw 3 that the servo oils meet although I am not sure they have actually done the compliance test or will bother.

Just make sure you choose the right oil dependant on if you are premix or injected motor user.

With the price of motors using a crap oil is a very short sighted option but many still do it to save a buck not realising that their maintainance expense will eventually through the years will catch up with them in extra plugs , scratched bores , de-coking clogged fuel systems all of which will make their motor more unreliable.

You might see valvoli-ne on the side of a race boat etc but I guarantee that they aren't running it in their motor.

Edited by pelican

Hi Josh, as Pel says, as long as the oil is TCW-3 rated you will not have any warranty issues or the like, but it is made to a price and not the best oil for your OPTI. If it was me I would either run the Quicksilver OPTIMAX oil or XD-100, and would prefer the latter if it was my engine. With the amount of oil your engine uses compared to older carby engines the extra cost of the better oil is not great.

Cheers,

Huey.

• 1 month later...

What about Pen-rite 2 stroke out board marine oil i know they have a good reputation

on car oils,Has anyone used it before cause i recently bought 5 litres of it just

to try it out did i make a good choice?

Cheers

Rizzo :biggrin2:

As the old adage goes " Oils Aint Oils Sol !" . Whilst the oils you mention are probably TCW-3 rated , the best oil is the more expensive Quicksilver OPTIMAX oil or XD-100 . Why possibly compromise the longevity of your engine with a cheap oil?

Ross

As the old adage goes " Oils Aint Oils Sol !" . Whilst the oils you mention are probably TCW-3 rated , the best oil is the more expensive Quicksilver OPTIMAX oil or XD-100 . Why possibly compromise the longevity of your engine with a cheap oil?

Ross

If you shop around you can get the Opti oil at a good price. I got 10litres for $85 on special not so long ago

• 2 years later...

Hi guys,

i have a Yammie 96 model 2 stroke 70HP .Would XD-50 oil be ok to run in it ? im not sure if a carby engine should use a different oil to modern EFI's. I'm told this is the BEST oil to buy???

Also does anyone know where you get this stuff and how much??

Cheers

Alby

Do not stuff around with oil in an Opti...proper Optimax DFI oil or as Huey suggests XD100 can be used (he loves his XD-100).

Alby

Running a decent oil like XD50 in your carb Yammy only makes life better...less smell, emissions, better lubrication stability etc.

PM to Huey will sought you out with some XD50.

C.