Saturday Down Cronulla Way

Jason Sunn

Well this is my first fishing report post since joining but I though it too good a day not to report on.

It all started at 4:30 am Saturday morning getting up and making ready for the trip down to Cronulla from Dee Why for a 6:30 am start. I didn't even know my clock went down that low..... :wacko:

Managed to make it to the wharf to meet up with 5 other perfect strangers for a day on the water, and what a day it was. :biggrin2:

Started trolling out of the bay with a plan to head to spot Y the skipper knew for some bottom bashing. With 30 mins of trolling under our belt and not a single bite we were all looking a bit scared, where there going to be fish today? then a call comes over the radio of a massive school of Aussie Salmon about 10 mins away so all lines back into the boat and off we head to join the action. We arrived on scene and it was quite a sight, 4 yaks all hooked into some rod bending action, 1 small boat, 1 charter boat and ourselves pulling up to try our luck.

We set 3 rods with lures out and the skipper said " hey, why don't you throw out a couple of lures on handlines." Off we went at a good speed and to the captains credit giving the Yaks and other boats a wide berth, it took about 2 mins and off went 2 of the rods, then the 3rd one went off and about 2 seconds later both handlines.

I have to admit it was the first time I had caught a fish trolling a handline and now I know why, about 3.5kg of thumper salmon :1yikes: pulling a thin line through your hands. What a rush it was, First the 3 rods landed their beasts, then the other handline got off and I was left trying to pull in the last fish which turned out to be the biggest of the day.

A great battle with plenty of aerial action as well. Well over the next 30 mins we manager to pull in 13 Salmon in total on handlines and rod and reel before they went a bit quiet.

Ok off to Spot Y now for some bottom bashing, at the end of the day the count stood as follows.

13 Salmon

21 Leather Jackets (Pesky little critters)

1 Great Bream

1 undersize Kingie

6 extatic fishermen all a little sun burnt (who has time to re-apply when you are having so much fun)

Days like this will last a long time in our minds. 5 new friends who share the same passion as I do and the chance to share natures beauty from the deck of a boat. Couldn't get any better

Oh, except for the 1 guy who discovered he gets sea sick. You can't have it all your own way I suppose.

Sunnyboy1

No offence Sunnyboy but I don't recall seeing a Visa application for a DY resident to enter "The Shire".

Perhaps you snuck in as an illegal alien.

Salmon on a handline sounds like a recipe for great fun though.

Dave

:1welcomeani: sunnyboy1

What a great first post, would have been good to see some pics but what the hell

Sounds like you had a great time. :1fishing1:

It’s good to see that you northern folk come to visit us southern folk :074: and fish some of the best waters in Sydney. :thumbup:

And to the misconception of many the good old salmon is not bad on the tooth as well.

So hope to hear more of your :1fishing1: trips with some pics included.

Cheers

Bob

And to everyone who reads this post remember

FISHRAIDERS RULES

Hey Jay,

Yep I was on a charter but I am not sure if I can say which one as they are not a site sponser.

Re the visa, I was assured at the gate that there was a visa waiver in place. I do agree that it isa beautiful area to fish. So much national park to look at and the water was clean and clear.

The wounds are still healing but I think it was all worth it.

As for photo's, i am hoping they will come through soon.. Will try and post then.

Cheers Sunnyboy1

Hey Jay,

Yep I was on a charter but I am not sure if I can say which one as they are not a site sponser.

Re the visa, I was assured at the gate that there was a visa waiver in place. I do agree that it isa beautiful area to fish. So much national park to look at and the water was clean and clear.

The wounds are still healing but I think it was all worth it.

As for photo's, i am hoping they will come through soon.. Will try and post then.

Cheers Sunnyboy1

did the charter start with a b or was it with a z