Sydney 31/03

Jigholio

Hit the harbour with Corny today, an expat Italian/Brit who claimed to be a gun angler...hmmmm. "Tie that 7 gram metal on the ultralight" sez the skipper to be met with a blank stare...hmmmm for a moment I swear he thought he was in for flying lessons...hmmmm.

So it's off to beginner school, the mackerel grounds where fish hook themselves. They're fatboys too, around the footlong mark. Corny is very excited - the Italian in him loves fresh grilled mackerel whereas all I see is live & strip baits. He won that round, all the macks went in the esky but I had 4x 9" cowanyoung in the livewell for something a 'bit special'. These guys would eat Balmoral yakkas for breakfast! We stuck around the mack grounds for some time, catching 20 & dropping just as many. Also picked up this ornery varmint:

post-6106-1207002437_thumb.jpg

Y'all don't belong in these parts Yankee!

Other bycatch was a flattie & Sergeant Baker. Sarge is one of General Lee's confederates, but he don't fight like that damn Yankee! Corny has now perfected his rodcraft, jigging techniques, pump & wind and landing. Moved to colours & all we found was juvie kings on the jigs, 'mouse' size. Lots of fun & great for a brother on his angling L plates but not very satisfying for me. Corny had to go so...dropped him off at Watson's bay, time to find something in the worthy category.post-6106-1207006606_thumb.jpg

Located a very large school of large Kahawai right in close to south head, just milling & flipping around, not feeding at all. Incredibly frustrating :mad3: 100 follows for 1 hookup on a clear 1" Ma Ma soft plastic. This one gave me serious curry on 2kg gear but was landed after about 20 mins. 59.999cm, the school was all the same size and in only 5m of gin clear water.post-6106-1207006523_thumb.jpg

not 5 seconds after boating it the Cowanyoung with a 9/0 behind it's head goes nuts & bolts for the hull, pursued by a metre plus kingi zig-zagging at speed trying to grab it - no doubt attracted by all the commotion & flash. :thumbup:

The little bugger made it to safety & mr hoodlum promptly headed back to NZ, never to be seen again. :1crybaby: The afternoon sun was telling me 'time to get to shore' so I did.

Tight Lines all,

Jig

Nice work, Salmon are great fun on light gear-do you like eating them? I reckon they taste pretty horrible and always go back. That ornery vermint was a juvenile samson fish.

The little bugger made it to safety & mr hoodlum promptly headed back to NZ, never to be seen again. :1crybaby:

Jig

I keep hearing about these big boys around. This weekend should bring a beast or two if all goes well :biggrin2: what a shame you missed him.