Gps Marks Or Areas In Moreton Bay?

slinkymalinky

Hi all Raiders,

Does anyone have any suggestions about where in Moreton Bay to start looking for Longtail Tuna. I'm told they start appearing from around now and I'll be up there in a couple of weeks and want to get Little Slinky onto one. Any advice on where to start/where to launch from would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Slinky

Hi all Raiders,

Does anyone have any suggestions about where in Moreton Bay to start looking for Longtail Tuna. I'm told they start appearing from around now and I'll be up there in a couple of weeks and want to get Little Slinky onto one. Any advice on where to start/where to launch from would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Slinky

We used to get amongst them from between Peel island & Nth Straddie/Moreton Island, which is a vast stretch of water a long way from any ramp, our boat was moored at RQYC in Manly. They will 'blow up' anywhere anytime. Binoculars are essential, just look for the birds working and tuna free-jumping. Spotties are often found deeper under the tuna and always welcome. Hi speed metals/HSS gear are the ticket as they can move incredibly fast. They're typically feeding on juvenile gar.

It's been a long time since I've fished the bay, hope that helps you.

Jig

Slinky, ramps are at Wellington Point , Cleveland ( probably the best one ) , and Victoria Point. Also at Wynnum/Manly depending on where you are staying. Just a word of caution, however. Moreton Bay can change from penthouse to s***house in about 20 mins flat, so keep a real good lookout on the weather front. It's a bloody big waterway and can be a long haul back from Peel Is or Nth Straddie / Moreton Is to these ramps ( about 20 kms across the bay proper ). I have a Waterways chart of Moreton Bay and you are welcome to borrow it if convenient. I'm at Putney. In the meantime I'll talk to my bro who lives at Cleveland ( mad fisho ) and find out where they are biting for you if you like.

Just call me on 0402 110 666

Cheers

Russ.

Thanks guys... sounds like Moreton Bay is a bit out of my league fishing out of a 4.8 Quinnie. I don't want to travel an hour to fish and then get caught out with some bad weather that my boat isn't built to handle. I imagine that being shallow, the bay would get pretty ugly in bad weather too.

I'll see if I can get Little Slinky onto one somewhere on the North Coast or something.

Cheers, Slinky

Slinky, didn't mean to scare you off but better safe than sorry, especially when you have a little one with you. Don't be too put off though, as the bottom end of Moreton bay down towards Jumpinpin has loads of small islands which protect that part of the bay in bad weather. Still plenty of fish, just not the bigger pelagics. Spoke to my brother about 4.30 today and they are catching more reef species down southern part of the bay. It is an interesting waterway to explore and there are safe and protected areas which suit the littlies. Offer of the map still stands - shows Moreton from Cape Moreton (north) down to the Gold Coast region with compass bearings etc. It was my bible when I lived up there. Map is laminated sized about 1m x 800.

Cheers

Russ

Slinky, didn't mean to scare you off but better safe than sorry, especially when you have a little one with you. Don't be too put off though, as the bottom end of Moreton bay down towards Jumpinpin has loads of small islands which protect that part of the bay in bad weather. Still plenty of fish, just not the bigger pelagics. Spoke to my brother about 4.30 today and they are catching more reef species down southern part of the bay. It is an interesting waterway to explore and there are safe and protected areas which suit the littlies. Offer of the map still stands - shows Moreton from Cape Moreton (north) down to the Gold Coast region with compass bearings etc. It was my bible when I lived up there. Map is laminated sized about 1m x 800.

Cheers

Russ

Thanks Tuffy,

I've not fished the Jumpinpin area before but I've got family on the Gold Coast so I've wanted to get up there for a while... might give it a whirl. I'll still manage to find somewhere that I can nab some pelagics I'm sure... just not Moreton Bay (there were tuna blowing up inside Port Stephens when I was up there a few weeks ago). Thanks for the offer of the map but I probably won't need it now.

Cheers, Slinky

Slinky you'll definitely want a chart if you're planning on fishing the 'Pin. it's like motorkhana for boats there and will test any skippers navigation skills. Plenty of hard running pelagics are found inside the Southport seaway which is a better proposition from a trailerboat than Moreton, no sweat. Queenies, GT's, Bigeyes, big Tailor & kingis are regulars along the breakwall there

At the other end of the bay (North) is Bribie Island. I have fished this area into the bay around a few small sand inslands. The insland have fairly deep channels with a few large wooden markers. This was few year ago but most likley still there.

The channel produced Long Tails, Mac Tuna and spotted mackeral for me as well as Big Eye Trevs. If you want the mackeral you will need to use wire.

You should have a look on Google Earth.

I fished this area a fair bit in 4.5M Quinrex Lazabout.

Cheers

King Pig

Hi Slinkymalinky. Of all the spots on the way up from Sydney, it would be worthwhile spending more time fishing the Richmond River at Ballina with Little Slinky and having good general estuary results, and for ease of operation and comfort which I reckon is best for kids in the main.

The reports I've got back from my friends up there say the Richmond is coming back better than ever after the big floods.

There are some good boat ramps handy to town and there are great jew spots such as the Gap, the Blue Room and out from the RSL. Little Sinky would be more at ease and would get plenty of action and excitement just fishing away in general in the river, even though these fast action spots are not far from the break walls. Also there is another reliable jewfish spot in very deep water alongside the rock walls in front of a few older waterfront homes, just up river on the South Ballina side of the car ferry. That area is also calm water on the good days, a good trevally and mangrove jack spot, and mangrove jack would be a chance even now because of the warm currents. For some reason the bream and flathead up there are generally larger in size. One thing I need to tell you is that fishing with only live baits with a litte waiting get's sudden action and better size fish.

Off shore fishing at Ballina, has been the best it's been for years, and there are several good performing reefs close in and I have marks if you need them. However on the far north coast, because of the regularity of gustly north easterly winds developing, you would have to start off very early in the morning and come back early particularly with a 4.8 metre meter boat. Like most other bars, crossing the Ballina bar entrance requires local advice

As to fishing just north of the gold coast you shouldn't have much problem going in and out of Jacobs Well and anchoring up for jew not far from the boat ramp on the way back.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer