Farmers Creek

Matt

Bitter was the only way I could describe the conditions when I got out at Farmers Creek at 6:45am Saturday morning! I was meeting Roffo at 7am but since I was early I wandered down to the water and see if I could get the tally ticking over early. But that bitterness made casting a chore and after about 3 casts the hands would go in the pckets for 5 mins!

The water though was alive with fish, it was literally boiling with Trout rising but they were mostly last years spawn and all of about 10cm long I would say and none showed any interest in my lure and it was too cold for me to even contemplate getting the Fly Rod out for!

Roffo arrive at around 7:30 and we got down to the serious business of catching Mr Speckles. It was still cold and extended spinning periods were tough so out went a couple of Powerbaits that kept us in the game when we put the spin rods down.

It was a long morning really with one or two light taps but not much else. There was an endless procession of boats trolling past and all reported the same, tough and no fish. Finally however, a boat that had all ready gone past us once or twice hooked up and managed a nice Rainbow on a Tassie trolled on lead core.

Another followed and this was the little bit of info we needed to get on the board.

The Trout were holding deep and we changed to plastics that we could get down to the bottom and work back. It was a good choice, I picked up the first Rainbow for the day, a solid 1.26kg that picked up the Squidgie Fish when it was sitting on the bottom, all though it was what I classify as a 'sloppy' fish and didn't fight. One for the smoker:

post-52-1207523959_thumb.jpg

Roffo then got a similar sized fish that fought like a demon. We released this one to go back to terrorising the Gudgeons:

post-52-1207524427_thumb.jpg

Roffo got a 3rd on Powerbait a short time later that was a bit smaller, perfect size to take home at about 800g. The day had gone from being hard to being a success in a short time!

We kept at it for a few more hours but apart from a lost fish on Powerbait and a few half hearted hits on the lures it had died. The Gudgeon schools which had been visible all morning had disappeared and it was no surprise the Trout had moved on with them.

Apart from the boat that had scored the Rainbows in front of us we were the only group we could see that scored any fish and I am sure that that only came about becuase we interpreted correctly why the fish were holding deep and what presentation would do the trick.

Cheers

Windy

Edited by Matt

A very enjoyable read, Windy :thumbup:

Your change of technique certainly proved successful. Trout on plastics is not something that gets a lot written about it but it is definitely a great choice on its day. I have seen a few reports of late lauding the praises of the Squidgy Fish in trout color, and was interested to read that one of your hook-ups was while the plastic was motionless on the bottom. What lures did you start off spinning with?

Well done, mate. Look forward to your next report.

Hodgey

Thanks Matt,

Top recap of the morning's efforts mate, hopefully we can do better this Sat if the weather holds to keep your average up.

I ended up getting a couple of packs of the good stuff at+_+_) lol.

One of the more enjoyable trips I've had down at the lake.

Cheers

Roffo

Thanks guys :thumbup:

Hodgey: Yeah, I have never picked up a Trout when dead sticking the plastic on the bottom. But I had a few touches that day whilst the Squidgie was motionless. All though I have got quite a few Trout now on plastic I still don't have that confidence to use them that regularly. Most of my spinning is with light minnows (Berkley Frenzys, SX-40s, Cultivas etc), Vibraxs (my fav) and sometimes Maniac Spoons. Most of those got a run first up as well as some deeper divers. Also tried a River 2 Sea Vibe down deep but I didnt use it for long, might have done ok if I persisted with it?

Roffo: Was a good day mate, glad you got some packs of the good stuff :thumbup: I did some looking on Sunday and cant fiind anymore at all the locals!

Yes Dear: Farmers Creek is down Major Thomas Mitchell Drive before you reach the Dam Wall, it leads right to the water and some good fishing :thumbup: The shore line in the upper reaches of the Dam all looks like that, some great areas and I am trying to find some tracks into some other spots. Were you having a fish?

Cheers

Windy

Thanks guys :thumbup:

Hodgey: Yeah, I have never picked up a Trout when dead sticking the plastic on the bottom. But I had a few touches that day whilst the Squidgie was motionless. All though I have got quite a few Trout now on plastic I still don't have that confidence to use them that regularly. Most of my spinning is with light minnows (Berkley Frenzys, SX-40s, Cultivas etc), Vibraxs (my fav) and sometimes Maniac Spoons. Most of those got a run first up as well as some deeper divers. Also tried a River 2 Sea Vibe down deep but I didnt use it for long, might have done ok if I persisted with it?

Roffo: Was a good day mate, glad you got some packs of the good stuff :thumbup: I did some looking on Sunday and cant fiind anymore at all the locals!

Yes Dear: Farmers Creek is down Major Thomas Mitchell Drive before you reach the Dam Wall, it leads right to the water and some good fishing :thumbup: The shore line in the upper reaches of the Dam all looks like that, some great areas and I am trying to find some tracks into some other spots. Were you having a fish?

Cheers

Windy

thats where we were

done near the white steel gate

we were having a flick down there

had a decent brown I think follow up a rapalla slit lure hit the end of it and take off at my feet

there were rsers everywhere out deeper

cheers Matt

Nice couple of fish, and good report. I've fished down there a few times with only limited success. Good to see the plastics worked well.

Matt I 4wd up the back of lake Lyell often. Not sure on the parts of the dam your looking at. Could help with track info in the Cox's river area.

Dean