Jew & Pike Eel

fishergirl

my partner and brother went to botany bay under the brigde to score this fat little jew, they went to their usual jew spot only to land the eel, it went 7 kilo it was over 5 foot long, do people eat the eels tey wernt sure and let it go......

my partner and brother went to botany bay under the brigde to score this fat little jew, they went to their usual jew spot only to land the eel, it went 7 kilo it was over 5 foot long, do people eat the eels tey wernt sure and let it go......

I know the japanese eat them, i don't think they're too bad. I don't plan on keeping one though, i'm sure theres much better tasting stuff to eat

hi,i once ate a pike eel.i thought it was a hairtail..[not an uncommon mistake] it wasn't bad.. boney but otherwise ok.of cause,if id known it was an eel, i would have thrown it back! :biggrin2:[edit]...ps,i once caught an eel[not pike] while fishing off a bridge at narrabeen and boy,did i cop some abuse from the "new aussies" when i let it go...WHY YOU DO!!!...IS GOOD MEAT!!!...SILLY BOY!!!... so,prized by some but unless you know exactly how to prepare and cook them definitely not worth keeping.

Edited by hooked4life

I ate smoked eel once, seem to remember it being a bit chewy.