Kingies At The Bait Grounds!

King slayer

Hi Guys,

Some mates and I had a great day out today on a charter. Well worth it by the way those guys on the charter are great to fish with. My mate mick is getting hitched on Saturday so we had a day off to celebrate on the water. So we started the day with the hope of hitting the FADs and nailing a few dollies, but the skipper informed us as we boarded that they were off the bite because of the cooler water :1badmood: Bit of a bummer, so we opted for plan B which was drift out side for reef species. Picked up a few nice little flatties, leatheries (yeah kept them too), and not really a lot else. After two hours or so 4 guys out of six on board were all human burley machines :puke: (not that it helped the bites that much), so we thought it would be best for the enjoyment of all if we headed inside. I suggested wee grab some livies back at the jetty and try to find a few kings.

This is where it gets good. Burleyed up at the jetty and started on the yakka's, the plan being to get just enough and take off quickly. After about 10 in the tank they all got spooked and then wham! Kings everywhere!! :yahoo: The guides frantically went about setting up a few rigs and I chucked out the first un weighted livie..Bang I'm on in seconds and we could see them hitting the baits. We throw out one after the other and nearly every one a hook up straight away.. So cool! :biggrin2: We ended up with 8 hook ups and five boated all in about fifteen minutes. We were easy prey for bust offs on the pilons with 20 Lb mono.

A bloke on the wharf (on his lunch break I think) who knew the guides grabbed one of their rods and a livie and he was on too, but it busted off on the pilon. They were all pretty decent too, the biggest was around 70cm + (forgot to measure) but the guides checked they were legal.

After that the livies had gone for good and we couldn't get any more. We tried a few markers with some squid (freshish) for a bit but nothing.

All in all a great day out.

Edited by chopper75

That sounds awesome, id love to see a king smash a yakka up close.

It's a thrill for sure. Watching them both zig-zag at speed, trying to out manouevre each other. Usually the yakka bolts for the hull, sometimes it'll surface only to be smashed in a shower of spray...knee trembling stuff :blink:

Hi Guys,

Some mates and I had a great day out today on Alli Hunters charter. Well worth it by the way those guys are great to fish with. My mate mick is getting hitched on Saturday so we had a day off to celebrate on the water. So we started the day with the hope of hitting the FADs and nailing a few dollies, but the skipper informed us as we boarded that they were off the bite because of the cooler water :1badmood: Bit of a bummer, so we opted for plan B which was drift out side for reef species. Picked up a few nice little flatties, leatheries (yeah kept them too), and not really a lot else. After two hours or so 4 guys out of six on board were all human burley machines :puke: (not that it helped the bites that much), so we thought it would be best for the enjoyment of all if we headed inside. I suggested wee grab some livies back at the jetty and try to find a few kings.

This is where it gets good. Burleyed up at the jetty and started on the yakka's, the plan being to get just enough and take off quickly. After about 10 in the tank they all got spooked and then wham! Kings everywhere!! :yahoo: The guides frantically went about setting up a few rigs and I chucked out the first un weighted livie..Bang I'm on in seconds and we could see them hitting the baits. We throw out one after the other and nearly every one a hook up straight away.. So cool! :biggrin2: We ended up with 8 hook ups and five boated all in about fifteen minutes. We were easy prey for bust offs on the pilons with 20 Lb mono.

A bloke on the wharf (on his lunch break I think) who knew the guides grabbed one of their rods and a livie and he was on too, but it busted off on the pilon. They were all pretty decent too, the biggest was around 70cm + (forgot to measure) but the guides checked they were legal.

After that the livies had gone for good and we couldn't get any more. We tried a few markers with some squid (freshish) for a bit but nothing.

Hi Coastie86 I'm glad it worked out ok with a good Kingfish result in the end. :thumbup: I'll bet the skipper was glad to strike fast action like that, they have a reputation at stake and they're under a fair amount of pressure to perform.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi Guys,

Some mates and I had a great day out today on a charter. Well worth it by the way those guys on the charter are great to fish with. My mate mick is getting hitched on Saturday so we had a day off to celebrate on the water. So we started the day with the hope of hitting the FADs and nailing a few dollies, but the skipper informed us as we boarded that they were off the bite because of the cooler water :1badmood: Bit of a bummer, so we opted for plan B which was drift out side for reef species. Picked up a few nice little flatties, leatheries (yeah kept them too), and not really a lot else. After two hours or so 4 guys out of six on board were all human burley machines :puke: (not that it helped the bites that much), so we thought it would be best for the enjoyment of all if we headed inside. I suggested wee grab some livies back at the jetty and try to find a few kings.

The ever reliable Kings strike again :1fishing1: