Good "all Rounder Reel" - Any Suggestions

claxton

fellow raiders, i'm in the market for a new reel and unfortunately my budget doeant stretch to a good small reel and a good big'un. Has anyone got any good suggestions for a good mid range all rounder that will do for light boat gear and land based efforts?

Any suggestions and would be brilliant thanks. The Shimano Stradic or Tierra look like good all rounders, does anybody fish with these?

Thanks heaps

Claxton

What species are you targetting? and from a landbased point of view, are you talking rocks, beach, jetties?

I guess it really depends on what type of fishing you're doing.... for instance if you;re flicking plastics, you'd want something relatively small/light weight and i would suggest something no bigger than a 2000-3000 size reel.. matched up with a fitting rod.. light weight, and up to abou 7' in length..

If you're after Jews from the beach, drummer, blackies, Land based Kings I'd be looking at something larger

4000-5000 and a longer rod too...

What rod(s) have you got? length? fibreglass? graphite?

Stradic's and Tierra's are great.. don't have one myself... but from what I've seen, read and heard, you can't go wrong... If budget is a bit of an issue, I would highly recommend the Daiwa Exceller Plus range .. that's what I ended up with....

a 2000 size reel works for my landbased plastics fishing(flatties, bream, whiting) squidding, and boating for the same species, going to try and chase some blackies, and kings possibly in pittwater this weekend, but I don't like my chances against a kingy... but it has been done before..

If I had to pick a size of reel, and say something in the 3000-4000 range...

The exceller plus 4000 for sale in the swap and sell section is a steal!

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=29963

If I didn;t already have 2 4000 sized reels I would;ve jumped on it as soon as it was posted :biggrin2:

What species are you targetting? and from a landbased point of view, are you talking rocks, beach, jetties?

I guess it really depends on what type of fishing you're doing.... for instance if you;re flicking plastics, you'd want something relatively small/light weight and i would suggest something no bigger than a 2000-3000 size reel.. matched up with a fitting rod.. light weight, and up to abou 7' in length..

If you're after Jews from the beach, drummer, blackies, Land based Kings I'd be looking at something larger

4000-5000 and a longer rod too...

What rod(s) have you got? length? fibreglass? graphite?

Stradic's and Tierra's are great.. don't have one myself... but from what I've seen, read and heard, you can't go wrong... If budget is a bit of an issue, I would highly recommend the Daiwa Exceller Plus range .. that's what I ended up with....

a 2000 size reel works for my landbased plastics fishing(flatties, bream, whiting) squidding, and boating for the same species, going to try and chase some blackies, and kings possibly in pittwater this weekend, but I don't like my chances against a kingy... but it has been done before..

If I had to pick a size of reel, and say something in the 3000-4000 range...

The exceller plus 4000 for sale in the swap and sell section is a steal!

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=29963

If I didn;t already have 2 4000 sized reels I would;ve jumped on it as soon as it was posted :biggrin2:

Cheers Throw Me

Thats a massive help. I have only recently started targetting specific fish , for the last few years i was just dangling a line and hoping. I was thinking of i can get a reel with 2 spools that i can interchange when targettign differnet fish from land/boat. Mainly look for bream/flatties/whiting from the land and am obsessed with the old kingies from a boat. still havent broken my duck!

My main rod i would use off a boat is a 7" Ugly Stik muscle tip. hoping it would do as a jack of all trades outfit. I have a couple of other lighter rods but use em mainly for squidding and baiting nad fishing in lagoons/estuaries. i have an old Alvio 4000 that i normally use when looking for kingies but the Exceller sounds just what i was looking for . thanks again mate and tight lines.

Same,

Only started getting specific with my fishing abour october/novemebr last year, and have really come to learn learn that the old, dangle a line and hope for the best! method obviously wasn;t the best :biggrin2:

Same, haven't caught a king before, closest I went was having a lure followed all the way to the boat, and a half strike as I was lifting it out of the water.. i'll nail them one day! hopefully this weekend..

based on what you've told me.. I think a 2500-3000 size should get you where you need to be...

nothing wrong with a 4000...

agree.. spare spool is a must!

My 2000 is currently spooled with 6lb, and the spare has 10lb - 2-4kg Tierra rod...

Second outfit is a 4-7kg graphite rod with a 14lb on a 4000 daiwa..

Knowing my luck, if the kings come biting, they'll only hit me on the tierra with 10lb, and I should be in for a fun fight that will probably result in no fish landed... :05:

Good luck!

You too Fella

Will be heading out with my old gear on sunday - good luck on popping the kingy cherry. i hda a rod/reel dragged over the side at North head last year. Didnt see the fish but definitely akingy looking bite. have been obsessed since. Will sort the new stuff out next week.

Good Luck

Claxton

Same,

Only started getting specific with my fishing abour october/novemebr last year, and have really come to learn learn that the old, dangle a line and hope for the best! method obviously wasn;t the best :biggrin2:

Same, haven't caught a king before, closest I went was having a lure followed all the way to the boat, and a half strike as I was lifting it out of the water.. i'll nail them one day! hopefully this weekend..

based on what you've told me.. I think a 2500-3000 size should get you where you need to be...

nothing wrong with a 4000...

agree.. spare spool is a must!

My 2000 is currently spooled with 6lb, and the spare has 10lb - 2-4kg Tierra rod...

Second outfit is a 4-7kg graphite rod with a 14lb on a 4000 daiwa..

Knowing my luck, if the kings come biting, they'll only hit me on the tierra with 10lb, and I should be in for a fun fight that will probably result in no fish landed... :05:

Good luck!

Cheers Musty

Thanks heaps for your advice, it looks like Diawa might be the go. And as for the epic kiny battles - bring em on!

tight lines

Claxton

The reels you mention are both great reels. The stradic from memory has a higher ration so its great if u want to throw metal lures around for pelagics aswell. If i had to give up all my gear and choose only ONE outfit i would definetly keep my nitro unltralight 6"6' with a Team Daiwa advantage, spooled with 6lb power pro braid it catches me everything from poddy mullet to decent kings (unintentional epic battles!)