How To Hook A Live Squid - Please Help!

MaccaPoint Matty

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone might be able to give me some tips on how to hook a live squid up and whats the best type of hooks to use...?

Thanks - look forward to your tips...

Hi MaccaPoint Matty. I think the best way to rig a live squid is to use two snelled hooks about four or five inches apart. Pin the upper hook on the rig in the tail of the squid, so that the squid will be facing away from the rod tip. Pin that hook close enough to the tail so that the hook can't quite penetrate any other part of the tail which can cover up the barb. Pin the lower hook a couple of milimetres below the collar of the tube and adjust the drag to hamper the swimming action, and just enough to make the squid struggle to swim. When you get a run on the squid cup your hand around the reel to bring the spool to a sudden stop and set the hooks.

For jewfish, kingfish and flathead, a good all round hook to use would be strong 5/0 or 6/0 live bait hooks. If I was in jewfish waters specifically targetting jewfish, I would use 8/0-10/0 mustard hoodlum hooks.

In regards to a bi-catch, smaller mouth species of reasonable size tend to mouth the bait on the inside of the roll over of larger hooks and can still get hooked up on the barb/s.

Hope this helps

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Hi MaccaPoint Matty. I think the best way to rig a live squid is to use two snelled hooks about four or five inches apart. Pin the upper hook on the rig in the tail of the squid, so that the squid will be facing away from the rod tip. Pin that hook close enough to the tail so that the hook can't quite penetrate any other part of the tail which can cover up the barb. Pin the lower hook a couple of milimetres below the collar of the tube and adjust the drag to hamper the swimming action, and just enough to make the squid struggle to swim. When you get a run on the squid cup your hand around the reel to bring the spool to a sudden stop and set the hooks.

For jewfish, kingfish and flathead, a good all round hook to use would be strong 5/0 or 6/0 live bait hooks. If I was in jewfish waters specifically targetting jewfish, I would use 8/0-10/0 mustard hoodlum hooks.

In regards to a bi-catch, smaller mouth species of reasonable size tend to mouth the bait on the inside of the roll over of larger hooks and can still get hooked up on the barb/s.

Hope this helps

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Thanks for the advice Jewgaffer...

Your tips will definitly help this weekend...

P.s - Love your reports, im just about to get my own boat so i'll be hitting the water to chase my first ever jew soon!! :thumbup:

have a look here mate :)

Robbie.

Thanks Robbie..

Great report by namesay - my mouth is watering for some kingy action and wish i was out there right now.... geerrr :1fishing1:

Bloody work..! :thumbdown: