Bottom Bashing Browns

Luringbream

Hey all,

Just after some information as to what i need to know in preparation for my first season of bottom bashing browns for blue eye cod.

a) what pound leader, what size hooks and what weight of sinker is suitable on an average days fishing?

B) what species am i likely to encounter other than blue eye, gemfish, nannygai & frostfish?

c) are the fish down there in abundance? Does anyone specifically target these fish, or are they just a "plan B" when the tuna fishign is slow?

d) alvey reef queen vs reef king? and what brand, pound and length of braid should be used?

e) are there any other locations other than browns that you can catch these critters?

f) please throw in any additional information that you feel i may need to know to bag my first blue eye.

Any help is greatly appreciated..

Regards,

Daniel

hi daniel,

i am only very new to this caper myself, but have had some sucess catching blue eye, gemmies, and ocean perch. we have been using an alvey 12 inch winch, spooled with 900 mts of 200lb braid, using a paternoster style rig with 3 droppers in 200lb mono with 12/0 circle hooks and pipes filled with lead for a sinker (about 2.5kg). we tie these on the bottom of the 200lb leader with lighter (40lb) line as a break away in case we hook the mountain. bait is usually fish flesh (slimey side or stripe tuna fillet cut in about 3 pcs. we have just upgraded to an 18 inch but are yet to use it, will let you know how we go!

hope this helps

grant

Hey all,

Just after some information as to what i need to know in preparation for my first season of bottom bashing browns for blue eye cod.

B) what species am i likely to encounter other than blue eye, gemfish, nannygai & frostfish?

c) are the fish down there in abundance? Does anyone specifically target these fish, or are they just a "plan B" when the tuna fishign is slow?

Regards,

Daniel

Daniel...

in answer to some of your questions

other species you are likely to encounter whilst dropping there but to name two are Hapuka and Bass Groper

Regards to. C

Like most fish they can be there in numbers or conspicious by there absent

yes they do get specifically targeted and plan b then would be to revert to y/fin and mix the two...

Best advice i can offer is............... join a gym for you need to have arms like popeye!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Warnie...

• 2 weeks later...

Daniel...

in answer to some of your questions

other species you are likely to encounter whilst dropping there but to name two are Hapuka and Bass Groper

Regards to. C

Like most fish they can be there in numbers or conspicious by there absent

yes they do get specifically targeted and plan b then would be to revert to y/fin and mix the two...

Best advice i can offer is............... join a gym for you need to have arms like popeye!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Warnie...

Hi. Better than a gym. and gives you longer Constant pressure ,hence Stamina type muscle form build up. Specailly for deep jigging. Is either Outrigger canoeing. or Dragon Boating. WHichever you have where you live.

It does chest shoulders arms Stomach back and thighs.... One of the best all over. (Apart from Walking type )exercises there is. 1 to 2 hrs Constant. Hard workout up to 4 times a week. And that's not counting the Piss ups and such when we go away on Regattas.. A lot cheaper than gym too.

I'm 67 this year. Go deep jugging regularly with younger blokes,35 to 50. and outlast mot of them when we're on.

Macka17

Edited by macka17