Line Recommendations

Kirks

hello raiders

I am looking to spool up a new overhead reel, (Daiwa Saltist 50) and i am not sure which line would be best. i am looking for braid, high quality stuff. It needs to be able to handle big jews from the surf and from a boat it will also be used bottom bashing and jigging.

Also how much braid should i put on 200, 300, 400m or what.

Kirks

Hey Kirkby,

50 or 60lb should be adequate as a jew can't bust you up on much off the beach. Put on as much as you can fit, but make sure you get them to put some mono backing on the reel before the braid so it doesn't spin against the spool. I really like the Daiwa sensor braid i have, it changes colour every 10m so you know how much is out unless you've cast it miles. Sufix is a really good brand as well. A 300m roll of any braid will set you back about $70+.

Good Luck

Josh

Hi Kirkby. I would be inclined to put 300 yards of braid over same weight monofilmant backing for what you have in mind. If you lose some of the braid on a good size fish in structure etc you can easily rewind the line onto another spool or similiar, adding a length of monofilament to the spool end, and winding it back on again rather than having to tie a knot in the action part of your gear, the braid.

Then I guess for a very bright twelve year old fisherman you will be able to talk the talk and walk the walk and we'll see soon see that in your reports, that's for sure :thumbup:

Good luck bringing the tiger rods over from the states, you will be very happy to own a few of those strong and sensitive bruisers.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

YGK Jigman, changes colour every 10 metres. Japanese stuff, very high quality but also pretty expensive

I nearly fell over when I saw the price of that stuff...

It does look like a quality product though.

I have YGK Nitlon PE in 50lb on one of my reels and it is very good from my experience with it so far, and no where near the cost of the Jigman stuff, albeit it's only one colour rather than changing.

I guess that's more relevant if you're jigging.

Cheers

Tony

I nearly fell over when I saw the price of that stuff...

It does look like a quality product though.

I have YGK Nitlon PE in 50lb on one of my reels and it is very good from my experience with it so far, and no where near the cost of the Jigman stuff, albeit it's only one colour rather than changing.

I guess that's more relevant if you're jigging.

Cheers

Tony

Yeh I have some Nitlon on a baitrunner, very good as well. I chose the Jigman because of the changing colour, so that when we mark bait on the sounder I know exactly how far down to go rather than guessing. Fair to say you won't go wrong with any of the YGK varities of braid