Roberta Hits Mona Vale

luderick59

fished mona vale this arvo with roberta conditions looked average [low water rough seas] but we gave it a go using no float just a small sinker after 20 mins roberta is into a good blackie and so am i :thumbup: after 2hrs fishing we had 5 blackies 1 bream

roberta got 3 to my 2 and i was surprised as she had never fished for blackies this way also it was on a rod and reel that was new to her

it was a great 2hr session

thanks for sharing it

peter :1fishing1:

Hello Peter and Roberta,

half your luck!

Was a bit of swell today. How was it at Monawatu?

Obviously you survived.

Great results.

beupatsunup

hi beupatsunup

being a surfer guess who caught about 8 blackies while roberta and i caught ours col smith from narra using a float on the basin side :biggrin2:

Col Smith= a true North Narrabeen legend.

So how big does the surf have to be and you say "enough is enough'?

What time of day did you fish?

Bait used?

High,middle,low tide? Coming in or going out?

Sorry for all the questions?

beupatsunup

usually the rougher the better

we fished 4 to 5.30

cabbage

fished the rising tide allways seems better

Hi guys

It was tremendous to meet up with Peter again - Many thanks for allowing me to fish one of your favourite bits of beach, using your own gear! Last time we met, he described the method he uses in the corner of the pool there & I couldn't wait to watch the master at his game! I managed to coax 3 onto Peter's rod (using an Alvey surf reel for the first time in many years - I flicked off more weed than kept on - shocking casting style!) You woudn't think you can cast a tiny sinker so 'hard' to flick off your bait!! That's what Alveys do well - cast small weights well! I really thought the first fishwas a snag (of which I caught about 20 or more .... snags, that is, losing 4 sets or more of tackle!) Then the snag 'fought back'! It felt totally different from float fishing or even how Cam & I were getting them on cunje at Forster earlier in the year. This was also the biggest fish of my 3! Then came the 'dry' period - more snags than fish. Got another one, then more snags .... so tried a paternoster rig instead & hooked the last one, another nice fish.

Peter got a terrific bream on green prawn & had some other good hits too.

post-2231-1208473689_thumb.jpg

Very sandy blackies - I'd forgotten how yellow/brown & coarse the Sydney sand is!!

post-2231-1208473622_thumb.jpg

Total fish caught (under trying conditions ....)

post-2231-1208473727_thumb.jpg

The seas were quite massive (you can see the waves behind Peter's shoulder) - no way would I have been on the rocks where Col was - even fishing the corner of the pool was not without it's dramas! We got hit by some big waves as they hit the beach & we were wet to our undies! Should have brought my neoprene trousers with me .... as well as the 2 sets of waders & rock boots!!

Hope to do so again with Peter, but the weather looks a little inclement ..... Sails/Cam in now on holiday & I know it won't take much to coax him down to the water!!! We will hit the lake for some weed (to take home with me as there is NONE in Forster!) & possibly the caravan park just to try there & then at Mona Vale to try the corners!

As Peter said, the other guys there got 4-8 each as well. One poor bloke got none! :( I think he was a bit annoyed. The bream Peter got was a beauty! I stuck with the blackies tho!

They'll be smoked for dinner tonight ..... hope to get into some more soon, so I can drop some off to MallacootaPete, smoked, ready to eat!!

Hope to hit the water again soon!!

Cheerio for now

Roberta

Don't forget one day to Try the rough white bits with a bit of cunje & a pea sized sinker to the hook .... you may be surprised at what you catch!! :)

Edited by Roberta

Hi badblackdogjack

Check out this thread - lots of us got together to put some top blackfishing tips up

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...c=23679&hl=

The best way of all tho would be to go out with an experienced blackie fisher & just watch & ask questions! Whereabouts do you live - put it in your profile (suburb name only) and others know where you are! I am sure there would be someone nearby who would enjoy some company!

Cheerio for now & good luck

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Thanx Roberta, I will update my profile....I live down at Balmain east,Just on top of Peacock point,down by the ferry anyone know any good spots around here ??? I will do my homework now and learn how to catch blackfish.....

Blackdog, Longnose Pt. right at the tip is a great spot on the run out.There are a lot of places where Blackies can be caught near you.Ask at Drummoyne Bait & tackle in Lyons Rd. Drummoyne (and buy some green weed ,hooks etc) and they will set you up ! Good Luck and Good Fishing !

Sails, Luderick59 & I hit the pool again this morning .... what a shock to the old body being woken up in the dark at 6am! :1yikes: Peter's buddy already had one & then Peter got one. I had one on but it got off! :( Cam did too! :( As Arnie said ...... we'll be back!!!

Off to find some weed .....

Cheers

Roberta

Hi guys

Sails, Luderick59 & I hit the beach AGAIN this morning ..... the tide has been getting smaller every day & it took a while for the gutters to get covered & Peter to hook onto his first nice fish ....... I hooked & lost a nice one & Cam didn't hook any blackies today! :(

Nothing beats getting a fish on ..... Peter in full flight!!

post-2231-1208763681_thumb.jpg

Peter's two nice fish, which he kindly donated to us!! :)

post-2231-1208764351_thumb.jpg

After Peter left, we were heading home when another of Peter's buddies arrived, so we watched from the carpark to see where he fished & how he fared! First cast & the bait had barely hit the water & he was ON!!! It was a really nice fish - about 40cm+! We couldn't believe it. By the time Cam raced back to the ledge to have a go, he was onto another fish!! I joined Cam & we all had a cast but I was still a bit wary of the wash across the rocks, so stood back & watched for a while. Totally different fishing from what I am used to - once again, I was back in the beginner's class! :(

Eric ended up with 4 terrific fish by the time we left - all very nice fish

post-2231-1208764408_thumb.jpg

Cam hooked a rock kale & put it back, pleased to have landed something! :) I couldn't catch a cold!

Ne'er mind, It was terrific to catch up with Peter again & I am in awe of his fishing skills & knowledge of the Mona Vale rock ledges! I ducked down to Balmoral this afternoon to have a go from the wharf, but no joy there, either!

Heading home tomorrow for a well earned rest, so no more fishing Sydney this trip!

Cheerio for now

Roberta

Cam & I also checked out the ledge at low tide the day before, but the swell was still too dangerous to venture out onto the rocks - so I went 'sinker hunting' on the ledge areas we had fished the day before!! Seeing as how I lost about 10 hooks & 5 sets of sinkers (Peter lost some too ...) I thought it'd be easy to spot them. Not so!! :( I found 2 of my own sets (funny how you can recognise your own gear ....), one of Peters & one of someone elses & only the one hook!

Edited by Roberta