Fishing Captain Cook Bridge Landbased

jay power

HI ALL ,JUST AFTER SOME INFO ON FISHING CAPTAIN COOK BRIDGE LAND BASED.

PLANNING ON GOING TONITE TO FISH THE HIGH TIDE IN SEARCH OF A JEW,WILL BE USING FRESH SQUID

AND PILLIES,WHAT I NEED TO KNOW IS THE NTH OR STH SIDE OF BRIDGE BEST TO FISH.

THANKS FOR ANY INFO

CHEERS JAY

Edited by jay

PLANNING ON GOING TONITE TO FISH THE HIGH TIDE IN SEARCH OF A JEW,WILL BE USING FRESH SQUID

THANKS FOR ANY INFO

CHEERS JAY

jewgaffer if your reading this im trying to send you a message but cant seem to send it to you

THANKS FOR ANY INFO

CHEERS JAY

Hi Jay

The pilchards would be in with a chance if you fished in the sandy areas away from the pylons at Captain Cook Bridge. Live bait would be far better.

Try to keep a respectable distance away from the pylons tonight. Those little snapper being the young of deep sea bottom dwellers do well in southerlies, hang around structure as bream do in deep around pylons. Both of those species are spasmodic feeders and will ruin your dead baits if you cast near the pylons. I would cast to hit bottom well back from and away from being square on to a centre pylon.

In my opinion you would need to fish the deeper water tonight about 80 metres back from the bridge. Might be worth a try but square on the opposite side of the same pylon this time, using a lot more weight to slow the bait down and keep casting again before the line runs under the bow.

As to bought south coast arrow squid or other bought squid, there are local squid to be caught around the pylons. A good sign for tonight would be yellowtail down deep as found in similiar conditions when we did get one good run on a live yellowtail in the last of the run in and one of the landbased fishermen got a small jew early in the run out.

The jew could come on all at once or you might get one or two over a time span. The schoolies could go after only about an hour of activity during the top and in the still water and if not during the early run out tide, they could arrive later in the run out.

Rather than get sick of it, it can suddenly happen. You never get to know what could have happened if you had stayed on and waited right thru till the run out tide still water and leave as the boat turns at the start of the new run in.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi Jay

The pilchards would be in with a chance if you fished in the sandy areas away from the pylons at Captain Cook Bridge. Live bait would be far better.

Try to keep a respectable distance away from the pylons tonight. Those little snapper being the young of deep sea bottom dwellers do well in southerlies, hang around structure as bream do in deep around pylons. Both of those species are spasmodic feeders and will ruin your dead baits if you cast near the pylons. I would cast to hit bottom well back from and away from being square on to a centre pylon.

In my opinion you would need to fish the deeper water tonight about 80 metres back from the bridge. Might be worth a try but square on the opposite side of the same pylon this time, using a lot more weight to slow the bait down and keep casting again before the line runs under the bow.

As to bought south coast arrow squid or other bought squid, there are local squid to be caught around the pylons. A good sign for tonight would be yellowtail down deep as found in similiar conditions when we did get one good run on a live yellowtail in the last of the run in and one of the landbased fishermen got a small jew early in the run out.

The jew could come on all at once or you might get one or two over a time span. The schoolies could go after only about an hour of activity during the top and in the still water and if not during the early run out tide, they could arrive later in the run out.

Rather than get sick of it, it can suddenly happen. You never get to know what could have happened if you had stayed on and waited right thru till the run out tide still water and leave as the boat turns at the start of the new run in.

Cheers

thanks for the info

cheers jay

Sorry Jay I didn't notice you were land based.

The south side on the rocks alongside the disused boat ramp right beside the bridge works the best. Fishing and casting in the dark under the bridge short of the pylon keeps you away from the other fishermen who prefer fishing and rigging in the light. Best to make sure you are well weighted, as you have to work in harmony with the regular jew fishermen. I have had decent results landbased casting at forty five degrees from the point on the right hand side into shallower water so don't be afraid to fish on the outside of that little point slightly back towards the bridge on the run in tide and round the right hand corner of it on the run out. I often anchor in eight feet of water between the moored boats and the bridge. The jew seem to chase the baitfish away from the moored boats towards the pylons towards the rest of the school coming across the bay round them up at the pylons and most of the boil ups occur in the open a good twenty metres on either side of the pylon.

If you fish on the left of the bridge where the dark underneath the bridge meets the light of the bridge it is quite ok as well, but if you only have room close to or off the boat ramp there are too many snags and too much small structure straight ahead and on either side, remembering that the jew like to round up the tailor etc in groups and like to have room to move in the sandy areas and tailor are very fast especialy when being chased around pylons.

Cheers

Sorry Jay I didn't notice you were land based.

The south side on the rocks alongside the disused boat ramp right beside the bridge works the best. Fishing and casting in the dark under the bridge short of the pylon keeps you away from the other fishermen who prefer fishing and rigging in the light. Best to make sure you are well weighted, as you have to work in harmony with the regular jew fishermen. I have had decent results landbased casting at forty five degrees from the point on the right hand side into shallower water so don't be afraid to fish on the outside of that little point slightly back towards the bridge on the run in tide and round the right hand corner of it on the run out. I often anchor in eight feet of water between the moored boats and the bridge. The jew seem to chase the baitfish away from the moored boats towards the pylons towards the rest of the school coming across the bay round them up at the pylons and most of the boil ups occur in the open a good twenty metres on either side of the pylon.

If you fish on the left of the bridge where the dark underneath the bridge meets the light of the bridge it is quite ok as well, but if you only have room close to or off the boat ramp there are too many snags and too much small structure straight ahead and on either side, remembering that the jew like to round up the tailor etc in groups and like to have room to move in the sandy areas and tailor are very fast especialy when being chased around pylons.

Cheers

mate thanks again

as the :wife: wasnt too happy about me going tonite im going tommorrow

morning and try again next the next couple of nights as im holidays still.hope for chage in weather

if no change in weather will just have to get the wet weather gear out

well thanks again for the advise

cheers jay