Friday Night On The Harbour

King slayer

My mate Brett launched the boat at around 3pm in search of live bait and he did pretty well. I my self am restricted to fishing between the hours of 7pm and 7am this week, due to a mutually agreed discussion where my wife agreed to let me go fishing once every two weeks in day time hours and I agreed not to argue. :1prop:

I joined the party a little after seven with Daddy bed time duties taken care of. We hooked onto some good size squid in our new favourite squid spot and added them to the hoard of pike, yakka and even one sweep.

Off to try a few spots for Jew as was our mission for the evening.

Spot one in North harbour and no goods after a bit so we thought we'd try a few recommended spots. Couldn't find a wreck we'd been to before (Need a GPS) and off to have a look at Grotto Point as per the good advice of Jewgaffer. We are still to get onto a jew and so our Jew territory finding skills are limited and we didn't trust that we could get our selves into a jewie type spot there (we need more experience), so it was off to a place around the corner where we had been told of big jew being caught in deeper water. It was getting to high tide at this time and we decided to settle in.

As we are having a kipper one rod bends over and a live yakka is removed from the hook with an almightly pull and it missed the hook..Damn it! So re-baited all lines and wait again. Short while later a big squid head goes off and it's pulling drag big time :yahoo: So i'm onto it and it feels pretty sizable. Oh the adrenaline was pumping now after all the waiting. Half way through the fight the line just goes slack like he was heading to the boat, so keeping the tension on I wound some more and then...S#@t he's off the hook :(

We cut the head off one of the live squid and put it down, but no more action.

The live squid, fresh squid strips, butterflied mullet and pillies got nothing. Back to sleep and I had to get back to bed by around 4am. Brett stayed out till six (since the ramp gate is locked over night) but nothing special happened.

So in the end we had some teasing strikes but no Jew once again. Not a bad night weather wise though. Next week, Hawkesbury, day time. I aint gonna give up this fight for my first Jew. I beleive it's like Pantene.. It will Heppen!

Dave

you gave it a good shot and thats more important than sleep lol

mate the super yakkas and slimmys were around Q point head straight to manly ferry thingy in 12 meters over sand about half way to the next point.slimmys are also spead between the heads.

gary

Next week, Hawkesbury, day time. I aint gonna give up this fight for my first Jew. I beleive it's like Pantene.. It will Heppen!

Dave

Hawkesbury is full of Jewies at the moment, mostly about 42-47cm. I've been catching about 6 or so every time I go out lately - just using frozen prawns and bream gear. I guess there are bigger ones about but I haven't worked out how to tempt them yet.

Good luck ;)

My mate Brett launched the boat at around 3pm in search of live bait and he did pretty well. Not a bad night weather wise though. Next week, Hawkesbury, day time. I aint gonna give up this fight for my first Jew. I beleive it's like Pantene.. It will Heppen!

Dave

Hi Dave It will happen if you keep on going back to the right places and put in the time there with all the best baits and the right gear. You just have to be there when they come on at that particular location. Sometimes you do well all at once and at other times the hook ups can be an hour or more apart for a few hours and then the jew seem to disappear completely. Rest assured the cycle does goes on. It's a matter of trial an error, but once you have established the right locations and taken a note of all the details of the particular day, it does take out some of the guess work.

In the larger areas where there are many suitable spots, you never know how scattered the schools of jewfish are and how long they will remain at the one particular spot. If the current is cross wind and the bow turns to one side and stays there, it pays to take the trouble to anchor up and move in close in the direction of the stern, and it's not a problem to cast big baits particularly live baits out into shallower water near shore lines and sand bars and jutting out type structure etc.where you rods will follow the current. You should also anchor up behind them at the same angle but closr to the shore when you see moored boats turn side on.

I worked that one out many years ago when fishing at the road bridge and the rail bridge when I saw land based fishermen hooking up several jew over the same time period when we didn't do well at all in the boat.

I hope your luck changes and you get your first big jew on the Hawkesbury in the coming week, but better hurry as it's rising rapidly out of the 998 low of Saturday night which also gave us freaky weather up here in Campbelltown and has risen to 1010 at the time of writing. The wind has been forcast to change to a northerly direction for Wednesday and Thursday. Those days look good days to me fish in general. I always prefer fishing for Hawkesbury jew and the bi catch in the day time.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hawkesbury is full of Jewies at the moment, mostly about 42-47cm. I've been catching about 6 or so every time I go out lately - just using frozen prawns and bream gear. I guess there are bigger ones about but I haven't worked out how to tempt them yet.

Good luck ;)

Pete very true, lot's of soapies are being are being caught in the Hawkesbury and not many good sized jewfish and that's been the case for a few months now. One of the members I fish with Grant (Arked) lives on the water in Brisbane waters and fishes every other day. Fishing in his favourite spot in the area of the Box Head bait grounds, Grant and his friend had caught about ten undersize jewfish on Saturday morning. I rang him, when we were on the water on Saturday to get local advice advice on the missing yellow tail.

One of the regular bench sitters at Brooklyn boat ramp regularly goes down to the cleaning tables morning and afternoona and has had the same reports about the soapies. He did say a couple of good size school jew were caught on Friday night at Bar Point which was about the time the southerlies had changes or were about to change overnight it seems.

I fished on Saturday afternoon with Varos1991 and his Dad and I've never seen so many of the different species in the bait grounds at Box Head area. We anchored up to follow the wind to the West Head shore and found bream and other fish everywhere and kept a good size trevally. No yellow tail were being caught by any of the other boats at West Head bait grounds either. When we found a lot of tailor at West Head, I wanted to fish just wide of the bait grounds, but Tom had no anchor chain so we couldn't hold anchor behind the tailor near F&S. We finished up going to the rail bridge for the run in and lost all our tailor and big squid baits to catfish and eels. It seemed the whole Hawkesbury catfish and eel supply congegated at the rail bridge area. We were having livies killed and lost big baits as soon as they hit the water to the tell tell signs from the eels followed by the tell tale sugns of the rod tips flipping back.

I have never seen so many eels and catfish in my life. When I got home the barometer had dropped into a big shutdown low of about 998 compared to the good pressure around normal of 1016 till around 3pm the after the first wind change away from all the recent days of southerlies.

I guess it pays to keep a barometer in the boat and go straight home as soon as a low pressure system sets in like that.

JG

Edited by jewgaffer