Overbinding Rod Runners Onto An Underbind

Cameron

I am in the process of doing up an old rod. Normally I don't worry about underbinding runners but on this occasion as the original rod was underbound, I thought I would give it a go. Where I am running into trouble is getting the overbind thread to go up tight against the previous turn, because I think it is falling into the tiny gaps between the underbound thread. It leaves a tiny gap through which the colour of the underbound thread is visible. There must be a way of doing this, but to date it has not dawned on me. Is there anyone who can help

cameron...when i do a rod and i have done my fair share i use 2 grades of thread...on ALL underbinds i use size A..on over binds i use C...i only bind by hand ..no machine and i find i dont have to many probs...if u need more info drop me an email and i will b only to glad to help.....bob

Using thread sealer can help overcome the problem.

The way I do it is to wrap the underbind with a good deal of tension on the thread (not too much though) and burnish the underbind wrap extensively. This will help to flatten the thread and close up all gaps. When you overbind, keep an even light tension on the thread. This is advisable in any case as it reduces flex cracks at the guide feet.

Some of the Yanks coat their underbinds with epoxy before overbinding. This is not a good method in my opinion and adds more weight to the rod.

Noisy's idea is also great. The thicker thread has truoble finding it's way into the underwrap.

Good luck! :1prop:

Gidday Noisy

I am not using filler anymore. The new way of just coating the naked thread gives a much better colour depth. I found that using the sealer sometimes made the colour a little milky.

Try it and compare the difference to one of your filled rods.

I am using Threadmaster these days which is an awesome finish. Gin clear and the levelling properties are the best of any epoxy I have used.

Gidday Noisy

I am not using filler anymore. The new way of just coating the naked thread gives a much better colour depth. I found that using the sealer sometimes made the colour a little milky.

Try it and compare the difference to one of your filled rods.

I am using Threadmaster these days which is an awesome finish. Gin clear and the levelling properties are the best of any epoxy I have used.

hi ceph....havnt found any milkyness ...still using the ervine and guderbrod threads..useing the gin clear epoxy..so far it works for me..i find with filler i can reduce the amount of epoxy and chop the overall weight down...but as you know building rods is sometimes a hit and miss affair..and each rod is an individual... the only time i dont use the filler is on silver thread it sends it dull...bob

Edited by noisy

hi ceph....havnt found any milkyness ...still using the ervine and guderbrod threads..useing the gin clear epoxy..so far it works for me..i find with filler i can reduce the amount of epoxy and chop the overall weight down...but as you know building rods is sometimes a hit and miss affair..and each rod is an individual... the only time i dont use the filler is on silver thread it sends it dull...bob

Try not using it on your next one. I just finished one off last night with gold and silver trims on black. It is a great look.. it looks like its moving!!

I used to use Erskines and still have a 8oz pack.... I shoudl probably finish it off.

In the old days, the thread needed colour preserving to stop it bleaching in the sun. These days, it is not absolutley required although, many still do.