Hawksberry May 3rd

Yarraone

What a great day and great weather down at Parsley Bay..

Headed off towards Juno..Well we had fun hear but no keepers..Just 10 Port Jakson sharks and 3 cat fish.

Next we headed to the bridge and Bar point..(Between 1am and 5am) Got a few good bites but the only thing landed was cat fish once again.. What to do? So we pulled up at Broklyn to get some more bait from the antique shop. Now with somw great squid we headed to Lion island.

This was worth it.... :1fishing1:

From 6am till 10am we didnt stop between 3 of us we landed 30 fish of all good size butnot all were keepers and most were released..But it was a blast as james (the young bloke with us ) had never fished salt water before.. About 11am things got quite so we tried cowan,juno,broklyn and gunya point...with no luck. :mad3:

About 3pm we went back to the car to cook a feed and restock with bait and stretch our legs and headed back to Lion Island about 5pm.

:1fishing1::thumbup: Once again things were hot with a few more keepers and 25 landed..most were released as we didnt have much more room in esky or were the smaller ones..(under 35 to 40cm) our smallest fish was the great Bream at 42cm :thumbup:

Kingfish ranged from about 45 cm to 75cm

Flat headed started at 40cm up to 70cm

also landed some pan size travaley, salmon,yellow tail and one leather jaket :yahoo:

Weather was great fish were great on my new boat first trip......

Edited by yarraone

Well done Yarraone. :thumbup: This time it was certainly worth the trip down from Bathurst and getting to know the new boat in the chop off Lion Island. The mouth of the Hawkesbury is definately the key to mixed bag results at the moment. The water still doesn't look right up river to me and it doen't appear to be due to run off from the mountains or seepage from any recent rains.

Good effort mate, and nice to see a young country bloke like James getting a taste of salt water fishing for the first time.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Hi Yarraone

wow that s a long trip for a fish all the way from Bathurst.Good to see you made it worthwhile with some nice table fish to take home with you :thumbup: The port jacksons seem to be everywhere down near lion island at the momment we got our share of them too on our last trip out there anoying things they are

Arked

Hi Yarraone just noticed the hours you put in and the trip up for more squid. That's a proper Hawkesbury session old mate, over twenty four hours by the sounds of it. I've often noticed myself that when Port Jacksons are on the bite, you are either over the top of a school of them or in an active mouray eel type pit like the seventy odd foot right on the point at Gunyah. When that lot are active there never seemed to be any jew around and not many other decent species for that matter.

Just thinking Grant. Tuesday looks the goods for our regular upriver catfish food drop off. There'll still be change out of $400.00 for the thirteen kilos of squid and we'll still be in with a chance of a jew between feeding the Port Jacksons and by Tuesday all the other jewfish blokes will be queuing up in soup kitchens. We'll have to give Lion Island our best shot, ay Grant, otherwise there'll be a bigger chance they'll be out of soup by Friday :lol:

Cheers mate

Jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi Yarraone just noticed the hours you put in and the trip up for more squid. That's a proper Hawkesbury session old mate, over twenty four hours by the sounds of it. I've often noticed myself that when Port Jacksons are on the bite, you are either over the top of a school of them or in an active mouray eel type pit like the seventy odd foot right on the point at Gunyah. When that lot are active there never seemed to be any jew around and not many other decent species for that matter.

Just thinking Grant. Tuesday looks the goods for our regular upriver catfish food drop off. There'll still be change out of $400.00 for the thirteen kilos of squid and we'll still be in with a chance of a jew between feeding the Port Jacksons and by Tuesday all the other jewfish blokes will be queuing up in soup kitchens. We'll have to give Lion Island our best shot, ay Grant, otherwise there'll be a bigger chance they'll be out of soup by Friday :lol:

Cheers mate

Jewgaffer :1fishing1:

hi byron

if getting a lot of pjs lift bait up another 6ft ive found they are bottom feeders and the jew or reds will be above them

allways found pjs on good jew and snapper grounds

peter :1fishing1:

hi byron

if getting a lot of pjs lift bait up another 6ft ive found they are bottom feeders and the jew or reds will be above them

allways found pjs on good jew and snapper grounds

peter :1fishing1:

Peter that's great information for everyone and a good jolt in the ribs for me to get those baits up off the bottom in those circumstances. :thumbup: I'll probably use a longer leader and raise the bait with a small cork until I get the chance to have the gymbals made for the cannons. I've been also favouring the spinning rods over my non casting Alveys which I usually drop straight down and raise the baits a couple of metres. I also use a smaller snapper lead and direct the bait out in the current, and drop the running sinker down later to pick it up but I haven't been doing that enough lately.

Thanks for taking the time to offer your advice about Port Jacksons Peter, they are prolific right now as are catfish and eels.

Cheers mate.

jewgaffer :1fishing1: