Targeting Trout

G'day,

It was one of those glorious days, Bearly a cloud in the sky, and only a slight breath of wind. So i thought what better to do than grab a box of trout lures, a few plastics and make a solo run up to Thommos.

I arrived at the Gate at around 1:30pm, and began the trek in. I made the decision to hit the far end of the dam as i saw a few blokes fishin the closer bank. First weapon of choice was a 5gm red and gold Celta which i through diligantly for about 15mins without so much as a follow. I soon cottoned on to the fact it was a bright sunny day and to have any decent chance of landing a trout, i should concentrate my effors on the deeper sections and little drop offs. With that i swapped to the ever faithfull Squidgy fish in raibow trout pattern on a 1/12th head. I continued thoroughly probing the deeper water with this combination untill i hit pay dirt, and came up tight to a lovely male rainbow. After a spirited fight on 2lb braid and 5lb leader, I slid this beauty onto the bank. He went 54cms :thumbup:

post-1572-1210415186_thumb.jpg

post-1572-1210415213_thumb.jpg

I contiued fishing similar areas for the next hour or two without any action, slowly making my way down to the back of the dam. I decided the quarry was worth a cast or two. About a dozen casts into my assult of the quarry, my soft plastic offering got punished, but after the violent hit, the line went heart breakingly limp. On close inspection of the leader there was no knot failure and no chafing, it appers i was biten clean off :thumbdown:

It was getting later by this point, and after a few more casts into the quarry i began to make my way back towards the wall. I kept probing the deep sections but experienced no more hits.

The sun had just melted into the surrounding hills, and the illuminated twilight sky providing the only llight. As if someone turned on a swich, trout started rising all around me. I spent the last half an hour, and diminishing light casting my plastic to these rising fish, Though i couldn't entice a hookup, the experience is something i wont forget in a hurry :thumbup:

Heres a few photos of the dam in all its glory.

post-1572-1210415236_thumb.jpg

post-1572-1210415257_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Dan

Dan,

Sensaysh mate, I'm thinking of hitting TCD next Sat. Nice fish BTW, I might take 8lb leader along as I got bitten off a few times at Lyall on 4 lb.

Cheers

Roffo

PS. Alway get a kick out your reports, keepem cumming.

Hi OutdoorDan

I was out there today as well ,i started at 6.00am and left at about 1.00pm . it was the calmest day i have seen out there for a wile , makes fishing hard when its like that. the trout seem very spooky. i caught one early in the morning up the back about 2lb released nice and healthy. first trout on on a tasse devil to usualy use a green, gold celta. once the sun came up over the dam wall they dident seem interested. a lot of follows but that was about it. due to the clear water and no wind i must of seen 30 or more fish as well as all the surfaceing fish. i caught another one about 35cm off the dam wall on my way back to the car ,released as well. it was a lot of casts between fish but thats fishing.its all fun. :1fishing1:

jim

Jim,

It's just a beautifull place to cast a lure. Even if your not setting the world on fire with cricket scores, it only takes one or two to have a great day out.

I havn't fished very much with Tassie devils, but with the amount of fish i've heard of falling to them lately, I may have to persist with them a bit more. I just find it hard overlooking the plastics at the moment, :1prop:

hope to see you up there soon,

Dan

That's a nice rainbow, Dan. Good stuff! :thumbup:

Great photos of the dam. It appears to offer ample access to landbased anglers. What sort of structure are you fishing? (weedbeds, standing timber, submerged timber?)

Hodgey

There isn't much in the way of structure, Hodgey.

Theres no standing or fallen timber, and no real weed beds, though there is a light covering of weed across alot of the bottom, just enough to foul your lures from time to time, but nothin i'd really extensively target. I typically focus on the shallower bays in low light and as the sun comes up a bit i concentrate my efforts on the steeper banks and drop offs, which are easy to locate in the clear water with the help of some polaroids.

Brad,

Yeah back to work tomorrow :mad3: and I'm not f--kin happy :1badmood:

Ah well, i need to earn a bit of cash anyway. Its been an expensive week. At least theres been some top fishing :thumbup:

Dan

Edited by OutdoorDan

That's a nice rainbow, Dan. Good stuff! :thumbup:

Great photos of the dam. It appears to offer ample access to landbased anglers. What sort of structure are you fishing? (weedbeds, standing timber, submerged timber?)

Hodgey

There used to be some nice Weedbeds when the water was higher, especially on the left bank (when looking out from the Dam) but unfortunately they be gone now.

The best structure is to find drop offs leading up to flats. Like OutdoorDan said, low light target the flats and when its clear hit the deeper areas.

Good session Dan, it is looking like one of the best seasons for a while.

Cheers

Windy

Great stuff Dan good to see you getting out all week right in the action

for different fishing applications i applaud your efforts :clapping: nice

looking rainbow there Dan well done :thumbup: i love your style how

you fish plastics for them you might have to give us tip or two some day, i

always thought there since i went with Stewy a few months back i was going

to give soft plastics a go but never gave it a crack i should of though maybe

next time i'll try different techniques cause i hear there's some big brutes

that live in that dam... Also your keen on using 2lb braid and light leader

but in a way i understand there is nothing better than fishing light outfits

we'll have catch up for trout outing soon Dan maybe doing some trekking