Any Optimax Owners Here

hoges1974

Hi guys i have a 90 optimax and i am concerned about the movement it has in the propellor. My motor is only 20 hours old and has just had the first service i asked about this and they said it is normal.

When the boat was idling i could hear this rattle i finally put it down to the prop. If I grab the prop i can move it forward and back a couple of mm it also moves side to side a tad on the shaft.

If you have an opti can you check if you prop had movement please and let me know.

Hey hoges,

we have an opti 75 which is on the same block as the 90 & 115, it is only a few months old and run for about 7-8hours but we haven't had any such problem that you are having. Just checked our prop and it doesn't move the slightest bit. Maybe somethings come a bit loose inside it...

Josh

What size/ pitch prop are you using , and have yuo checked the torque on the prop restraining nut? Are the thrust washers in place , and in good condition?

Ross

I have an 18p prop i have not checked anything. It went in for its first service this week i told the mechanic about this and i was told it is normal. I also see on the receipt that they removed the prop to check and grease as per first service i would have thought they would tell me and fix any dramas.

G'day Hoges ,

That is definately not right. I would remove the prop , make sure that all the thrust washers ( front and rear ) are fitted , and that the restraining nut is tight. There should be absolutely no freeplay . Remember , that prop is going to be spinning very quickly , and under load. Continued use with the prop in that condition will cause damage.

Also , I would be very sus about a dealer that claimed that " she'll be right " . Im sure Craig from Huetts Marine will have more and better information for you .

Was it making that noise before it went in for service? Also check that the shaft has indeed been given fresh grease.

Ross

G'day Hoges ,

That is definately not right. I would remove the prop , make sure that all the thrust washers ( front and rear ) are fitted , and that the restraining nut is tight. There should be absolutely no freeplay . Remember , that prop is going to be spinning very quickly , and under load. Continued use with the prop in that condition will cause damage.

Also , I would be very sus about a dealer that claimed that " she'll be right " . Im sure Craig from Huetts Marine will have more and better information for you .

Was it making that noise before it went in for service? Also check that the shaft has indeed been given fresh grease.

Ross

Ross

It was making the noise before i went for the service. I did ask the mechanic and he did come out and look at it and said that it is normal. I have noticed some marks in the locking tab so it looks like it has been off.

I have never removed a prob is it as simple as removing the locking tab and then the nut????. I am going to contact Mercury tomorrow and ask someone there i don't really want to touch it incase it has caused some damage and they blame me for it

really p's me off having to worry about crap like this on a new motor and that has just been serviced.

The dealer i use come highly reomended by a few people i know. I hope he is right but like you say it does not seem right

G'day Hoges ,

Ross

Ross

I have just got off the phone from a guy at the Mercury Marine regional office in Sydney and he assures me this is normal on the Optimax engines from 75 to 115hp(not sute why Josh88's doesn't do it). Apparently they have a flow torque 3 hub kit and it has to be like this.

It is very hard to believe that is normal but i will go with what he says and see what happens.

Hi Hoges, your prop movement is not normal, you need to make sure the prop nut is torqued down to 55lb.ft and you have the thrust washer and all the hardware installed properly. What you are hearing at low speed is clutch dog rattle-due to the weight of the STS prop and low idle all Merc OPTI and 4-Stroke have it and that is why Merc came out with the Flo Torque 3 hub-which should come STD with OPTI props anyway and in our expreiences with the hub you do not have any prop rattle.

Maybe Joshs dealer is switch on and knows about this improved hub and has fitted it from new to his OPTI.

Just make sure you prop nut is torque correctly and you have all the components and then get yourself the Flo Torque 3 hub and you will be right to run without and rattle at low speed.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Hoges, your prop movement is not normal, you need to make sure the prop nut is torqued down to 55lb.ft and you have the thrust washer and all the hardware installed properly. What you are hearing at low speed is clutch dog rattle-due to the weight of the STS prop and low idle all Merc OPTI and 4-Stroke have it and that is why Merc came out with the Flo Torque 3 hub-which should come STD with OPTI props anyway and in our expreiences with the hub you do not have any prop rattle.

Maybe Joshs dealer is switch on and knows about this improved hub and has fitted it from new to his OPTI.

Just make sure you prop nut is torque correctly and you have all the components and then get yourself the Flo Torque 3 hub and you will be right to run without and rattle at low speed.

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks Huey

Like i said i have spoken to the guy Mercury Australia put me onto (head service guy app) and he assures me this is normal and how it is ment to be. So sounds like there head service guy don't know s^&t

I have been told mine has the flo torque 3 hub fitted.

Looks like i am on the phone to them again this is bull#$%$

Thanks again

P.S i know you are not a Merc dealer otherwise you would be servicing my motor but do you know any Merc dealers that know what they are on about??????

Edited by hoges1974

Huett Marine can service any motor and are damnnnnnn good at it.

I had my Suzuki 4 stroke done and it hasnt missed a beat.

Please be careful naming any particular persons in these forums as you could get yourself in a whole heap of trouble.

I have edited your previous post.

Cheers Stewy

Huett Marine can service any motor and are damnnnnnn good at it.

I had my Suzuki 4 stroke done and it hasnt missed a beat.

Please be careful naming any particular persons in these forums as you could get yourself in a whole heap of trouble.

I have edited your previous post.

Cheers Stewy

I am sure they do great work up at Huett but Merc state in there 5 year warranty it must be serviced by a merc dealer

Thanks Huey

Like i said i have spoken to the guy Mercury Australia put me onto (head service guy app) and he assures me this is normal and how it is ment to be. So sounds like there head service guy don't know s^&t

I have been told mine has the flo torque 3 hub fitted.

Looks like i am on the phone to them again this is bull#$%$

Thanks again

P.S i know you are not a Merc dealer otherwise you would be servicing my motor but do you know any Merc dealers that know what they are on about??????

Hi Hoges,

I've sent you a PM of who our dealer is, maybe give them a ring.

Cheers

Josh

Hi Hoges, we have been a Mercury dealer since 1984 and we still are in relation to servicing and having the warranty covered due to selling NEW Mercs and Mariners on Stacer boats. I would be suprised if your hub is the flow torque three, take a picture and post and the amount of movement you have is not normal, with any brand of outboard.

Cheers,

Huey.

Edited by Huey @ Huett Marine